Bryd article on breakout season

And yet, there are some who post frequently on this board who believe Byrd is "nothing special."

The Byrd/Wilson tandem will be recognized, by the end of this season, as one of the top 5 safety duos in the league.

Very much so I strongly agree.

OK guys, to prevent stuff like this from happening, I suggest we start an official sarcastic font. Maybe something like this, the font Impact. Here's a situation where it can be used:

Machine Gun, that is the most ballsy and best post I've seen from anybody. Way to stick it to the people who have over 5000 posts, saying they basically have no lives. :thumbsup:

See what I'm trying to get at?

It was not sarcasm. It was me listing the same arguments which are not plausible. There is no logic in saying anything that I said.

I meant George Wilson being too old. If he was a CB then maybe his legs might be getting some tread worn off but he is a SS, a SS at that.

I never played college football, or coached, but my name is actually Vince Lobardi. I do not know much about football, so I am still trying to learn the foosball.

PS: PTR would probably agree with all I said, many distinguished posters probably would...except Stojan - because we're doomed.

There are a very lot of people in here who don't know squat about defense. Don't worry, they'll never learn.

-Morrison a bust

-Merriman is STILL an LB

-Scott is just a backup and may be cut

-Wilson is too old

-Whitner was always beat deep

-Poz couldn't cover

-4-3=3-4

-Our LB's suck.

Those are examples of when I stop reading threads or members content.

Why I don't agree with most of these, I do agree with a couple.

Poz couldn't cover for one. He looked lost out there often. Had trouble making proper drops in coverage, took bad angles at ball, and didn't have very good ball skills. He is what you would call a 2 down LB. We have Scott on the team still cause we still have needs at LB for coverage skills, and players we have now are better at coverage than Poz.

Don't think our LB's suck, but think we are bottom 1/3 in league talent wise there. The fact bills safety's have been leading tacklers most games last year, and our run defense has been horrible last few years, as well as how much trouble we have had stopping short passing games over middle, make it hard to say anything but that about our lb's. Doesn't mean I don't think we suck there, and don't have players that have ability to improve. Have several young lb's with talent, just think need more time to develop at this point.

Merriman being a natural 3-4 lb is another. Just like Kelsey playing LB was out of position last couple years, Merriman playing LB is as well IMO. Now if just on passing downs, rush LB is playing like a DE on allot of downs, so in that way can see why someone would say I am wrong there. However if they play him as an every down DE, think he will have a tough time with teams that run at him, and thats more what speaking of.

All that being said, there isn't a team in the league that doesn't have needs every year and has allpros at every position. Every team has weakness, and its up to the coaching staff to use what they have people wise to best of their abilities to cover those up and make them play as a team.

As far as the topic of the thread, I too am a fan of our safety core. Now that Byrd has experience, and gets benefit of full training camp, look for him to make even more strides. While Wilson is getting up there, you usually want at least one of your safety's to be more of a coach on field, and he does very well there considering is a converted WR. With the added pass rush we should get from revamped DL, think our safety's should have a very good year. I am hoping their numbers go down in the Tackles department, and we get a couple of LB's at top of that list this year however.

Count me in the crowd thinking this is a top 5 safety tandom.

Poz couldn't cover for one. He looked lost out there often. Had trouble making proper drops in coverage, took bad angles at ball, and didn't have very good ball skills. He is what you would call a 2 down LB. We have Scott on the team still cause we still have needs at LB for coverage skills, and players we have now are better at coverage than Poz.

Poz was not supposed to have to cover. We were supposed to use him under Whitner on the TE's. Our gameplans were horrible against those TE's because of this. Scott is not an LB, he is a rover/monster.

Don't think our LB's suck, but think we are bottom 1/3 in league talent wise there. The fact bills safety's have been leading tacklers most games last year, and our run defense has been horrible last few years, as well as how much trouble we have had stopping short passing games over middle, make it hard to say anything but that about our lb's. Doesn't mean I don't think we suck there, and don't have players that have ability to improve. Have several young lb's with talent, just think need more time to develop at this point.

I do not think we are that low. LB's across the league may be at their weakest in decades. There is no way these guys can compete with the level of players they are seeing on offense. It started with Moss - WR became the big position. You didn't just want a fast guy. You wanted a big, tall, strong guy - defenses have not caught up yet. TE's are going to continue to destroy the league this year.

Merriman being a natural 3-4 lb is another. Just like Kelsey playing LB was out of position last couple years, Merriman playing LB is as well IMO. Now if just on passing downs, rush LB is playing like a DE on allot of downs, so in that way can see why someone would say I am wrong there. However if they play him as an every down DE, think he will have a tough time with teams that run at him, and thats more what speaking of.

I think Merriman may surprise at DE, but more importantly I do not think he is limitted to one thing at this point in his career. His upside is high and his downside is an anchor. Why not play him where we can to see what he has?

I just do not think many people here actually know how to use Merriman.

Poz was not supposed to have to cover. We were supposed to use him under Whitner on the TE's. Our gameplans were horrible against those TE's because of this. Scott is not an LB, he is a rover/monster.

Agree, was more replying to the statement made that implied he is good at coverage.

Scott is being listed as a LB this year, and while will probably do more than that. I do expect him to play more LB and be bit more well rounded this year.

I do not think we are that low. LB's across the league may be at their weakest in decades. There is no way these guys can compete with the level of players they are seeing on offense. It started with Moss - WR became the big position. You didn't just want a fast guy. You wanted a big, tall, strong guy - defenses have not caught up yet. TE's are going to continue to destroy the league this year.

Well considering how bad our run defense has been, tough to say they've in top half. LB's should look better with the improved line play, and less DE's playing LB, and a year experience for Sheppard however.

I think Merriman may surprise at DE, but more importantly I do not think he is limitted to one thing at this point in his career. His upside is high and his downside is an anchor. Why not play him where we can to see what he has?

I just do not think many people here actually know how to use Merriman.

If he is healthy, no doubt have to get him on the field, as he is just too good not to get him on field on passing downs.