Thoughts about the line

The interesting thing about lines, either offense or defense, is that when there are more than one potential top fifteen or first round pick, one of the players has to be making up for the other. In 2006, we moved up to the first round to pick McCargo, Manny Lawson was picked two spots ahead by the Niners and Williams was picked first overall. Three players were taken in the first round who were basically defensive linemen. Wouldn't you think that one of them or two were making the other look really good. Being Bills fans like we are, we know McCargo was a bust from day one so he was the guy who was sucking off the athletic teet of the other two but especially Williams. This example is of a defensive threesome but the same thing could be said about offense too.

This year we are looking for a starting left tackle and when you look at Iowa, Georgia, Stanford, and Ohio State; the only team that looks like it could have two first round picks is Stanford and when you look at DeCastro who is the best offensive line player in the draft, you can't tell me that the other Stanford linemen didn't benefit from his skills. Same thing could be said for Wisconsin too.

Just some thoughts about draft philosophy.

There are so many variables to player evaluation and the one you mention, trying to evaluate a player within the excellence of his teammates, is certainly one of them.

I remember not being able to figure out Brian Cushing, Clay Matthews, and Rey Maualaga the year they came out. In the videos which I watched, their defense was so excellent it was really hard to figure out what was going on.

The North Carolina defense had a similar situation last year with Quinn, Carter, Austin, Coples and a few other guys.

I really have confidence in our scouting department so I'm not too worried about these kind of issues.