2004 Draft Question

jdbillsfan

This is just kind of an off the wall question, and I am not saying that they should have done anything different, but do you guys think Donahoe would have traded up to get Losman if he knew what kind of year Drew and the Bills would have?

It seems like it was an urgent move because of how bad drew did last year, but would he have made such a move if Drew played like he has so far this year?

Just wondering what you guys think?

Go Bills.

This is just kind of an off the wall question, and I am not saying that they should have done anything different, but do you guys think Donahoe would have traded up to get Losman if he knew what kind of year Drew and the Bills would have?

It seems like it was an urgent move because of how bad drew did last year, but would he have made such a move if Drew played like he has so far this year?

Go Bills.

182415[/snapback]

Yes. It takes rookies time to develop. The longer JP stands on the sideline the shorter his game play adjustment will be.

Go Bills.

182415[/snapback]

Go Bills.

182415[/snapback]

I actually thought at the time he traded up to get Losman because we would not be in a good position (draft-wise) to get a franchise QB in subsequent drafts. Rodgers and Leinart should go 1-2, after that the talent drops considerably.

I think it was genius to rebuild/retool our offense in just two drafts (RB, WR and QB).

Go Bills.

182415[/snapback]

I think it turns out to be a good move. It looks like the Bills wouldn't of have had as high a pick as the Losman one last year, and I doubt there will be a quarterback rated as high as he was at that time anyway. At this point, Drew looks like he's going to start next year, and Losman will get the chance in 2006 - AFTER two years of grooming. Plus, we'll have more money in 2005 for free agency. It may have been urgent at the time - but I think it turned out good.

Definately, noone we could've snagged in this draft will be comparable talent-wise to JP, JP is a very special player who has an arm, legs and the ability to lead. He may need some grooming, which is what he's getting. Bills fans remember, we used this years first rounder last year, but it'll pay off.....just wait.

As many here have already said, I would have expected that it was Donahoe's expectation that Bledsoe would perform well this year. JP is a QB that has all the essential raw materials to be a top quality QB in the NFL, but he's "raw" in his use of said talents, and needed a maturation/refinement period before he takes over the reins, a "project" as it were. He is not the type of QB you take if you need one to start that same year. Notice how he still sits as #3 on the depth chart, despite being healthy for a considerable clip of time. I think things are moving along well, and that Donahoe is breathing a sigh of relief that the offense is working with Drew in it, rather than worrrying about retarding the growth of Losman.