What impact of Evans trade on none other than....

Hplarrm

I completely trust the mods to move this if they choose to some other location as there are a few threads about the loss of Evans out there. However, I throw this out there and think it might stand on its own because this thread is less about dealing with the Evans for a 4th downgrade but instead about using 1st round pick Spiller positively.

Spiller has been disappointing for many Bills fans though from my perspective this says more about the over-expectations of Bills fans about the value of a #1 choice. Yes, the #1 has to and should be and often is a real contributor to the team over his career.

However, along with this truth is the statistical truth that really only about half of the 1st round choices are even first on the team's depth chart at their position after a rookie year. Further, while yes there is a strong bias to top 10 choices proving to be 1st year starters, this is true not simply because of the obvious talent which got them a top 10 pick but because the existing starters on that team are simply bad.

Spiller has not produced like we wanted and mostly people falsely expect because he is not a starter immediately. However, this says more to me about Fred Jackson being a quality RB than it does about Spiller not.

Spiller in fact in a few brief highlight reel touches has shown why Gailey and the Bills were so excited about him.

However, my sense is that though I do not predict this because it is a leftfield idea, might hope is that we in fact see Spiller get more touches this year because it is in fact he who ends up commanding the #2 WR slot!

I do not predict this as though signs point to Spiller being a fair to good route runner as an RB, the duties and responsibilities of a #2 WR are different and diverse. Spiller would need to show not only even more consistent receiving abilities, but would need to be able to show consistent disciplined route running not only as a pass catcher but as a decoy. As a #2 Spiller would need to show blocking ability on running plays toward his side.

However, my sense is that Gailey is so effusive about Parrish, it is he rather than unproven newbies like Nelson or Easley who will get the first shot at being #2.

Yet, depending upon how he performs in practice at the other disciplines needed from a productive #2 it would not surprise me to see Spiller as the plan B #2 behind Parrish.

Its pre-season so we will see. However, after solving our OL problems, getting Spiller more touches is high on the list for offensive improvements on the Bills

i don't think that putting cj in as a full time wide out is a good idea. i think that creativity is the key to utilizing his abilities right now. we don't have the intimidating, mauling o-line at this point to open huge holes for him to run through, but with screens, motion and some good creative play calling, we could see a nice return on that investment. but i think that lining him up out wide from time to time would also be a wonderful thing!

A strong point of Spiller's presence is that he is versatile, and that he can be a running back or split out as a receiver. Considering said dynamic would be lost and he has below average abilities as a pure receiver, this would be a horrible move.

Edited by BringBackFlutie