Does re-signing your draft picks mean anything?

Shamrock

Was wondering the point of the draft and the value of re-signing your players. If you draft a guy and someone, including your own team, re-signs them, is that a good sign of draft evaluation? Or another way, is a drafted playing career lasting longer than the average another positive of a good draft?

Hang with me...

So in 2001- Clements (still playing), Schobel and Henry class- they played a combined 26 seasons.

2002 Williams, Reed and Denney combined for 22 seasons- none still playing.

So is 2001 a better statistical assessment of the drafters success than 2002, noting i could only be bothered worrying about the top 3 picks? Or does it go on purely on things like statistics and probowls?

Say, 2002 again, there's no probowls and 2001 something like 4.

Then if we compare 2001 to 2000, adding Corey Moore (!) that's a measley 14 years and no probowls, let alone stats from your 1st 3 draftees.

1999 to 2001, Winfield, Price and add in Bryson that's 28 seasons (and counting) and 3 Probowls.

2003 (If you look longer along comes a McGee suprise! Heck- Hagan and Aiken (probably just) are still playing!!) but the top 3 are Mcgahee (just cut), Kelsay (playing)and Crowell comnine for 20 seasons, 1 Probowl.

Get my drift and query and wonder how this stacks up across the league?

Cheers.

Edited by Shamrock

Was wondering the point of the draft and the value of re-signing your players. If you draft a guy and someone, including your own team, re-signs them, is that a good sign of draft evaluation? Or another way, is a drafted playing career lasting longer than the average another positive of a good draft?

Hang with me...

So in 2001- Clements (still playing), Schobel and Henry class- they played a combined 26 seasons.

2002 Williams, Reed and Denney combined for 22 seasons- none still playing.

So is 2001 a better statistical assessment of the drafters success than 2002, noting i could only be bothered worrying about the top 3 picks? Or does it go on purely on things like statistics and probowls?

Say, 2002 again, there's no probowls and 2001 something like 4.

Then if we compare 2001 to 2000, adding Corey Moore (!) that's a measley 14 years and no probowls, let alone stats from your 1st 3 draftees.

1999 to 2001, Winfield, Price and add in Bryson that's 28 seasons (and counting) and 3 Probowls.

2003 (If you look longer along comes a McGee suprise! Heck- Hagan and Aiken (probably just) are still playing!!) but the top 3 are Mcgahee (just cut), Kelsay (playing)and Crowell comnine for 20 seasons, 1 Probowl.

Get my drift and query and wonder how this stacks up across the league?

Cheers.

Free-agency has taken a great deal of value away from the draft. I can imagine at some point the NFL draft being only 3 rounds.

Looking at your breakdowns is a reminder of just how poorly the Bills have drafted over the past decade plus.