Why isn't Schobel signed yet?

d_wag

I agree with this. If Jennings has a good season this year, he will command in the neighborhood of 6 million dollars per season, with a hefty bonus. He is a nice player, but I dont see him as an Orlando Pace type who is worth this and more. Besides, he seems to want out.

I agree with some of the negative statements about Schobel, but he is very fast, and he will probably get stronger. Also, he is now an experienced player at a position which seems to be hard to fill.

By waiting until next year to re-sign Schobel, TD gains the advantage of having a better picture of his injury situation, but is admittedly taking a risk of losing him. Also, by waiting, TD serves not to alienate the other two FAs. I have faith in TD in his FA dealings. The drafts are another story.

13127[/snapback]

What scares me is that we continually draft DEs, and are not looking to lock any of them up to long term deals. Denney, Kelsay and Schobel are all 1st or 2nd round picks. You cannot keep letting your top picks walk after 3-4 yrs. With Jennings and Williams, if we cannot sign them this off season, at least they were not high draft picks...just a thought.

Anybody remember the Hall of Fame career that Marcellus Willey was supposed to have after he left Buffalo for his bigtime contract? Schobel needs to show a lot more before TD gives him "Star" DE type money. You cannot afford to overpay players in todays NFL.