Why lockout hurts our draft

Cson76

With the lockout/antitrust suit in full swing, we are more than likely going to have a court ordered season using 2010 rules just like it happened last time. That takes away any rookie salary cap and means the Bills will be paying huge bucks to the #3 guy. That also means that trading down is almost impossible as no franchise wants that kind of gauranteed money as a liability. McCoy last year got $35M G jack last year.

It all boils down to we're stuck at #3 and we're paying a lot and can't miss. That's why we need to go with the safest pick possible.

On another note, no salary cap or salary floor next year either if they don't reach a deal.

With the lockout/antitrust suit in full swing, we are more than likely going to have a court ordered season using 2010 rules just like it happened last time. That takes away any rookie salary cap and means the Bills will be paying huge bucks to the #3 guy. That also means that trading down is almost impossible as no franchise wants that kind of gauranteed money as a liability. McCoy last year got $35M G jack last year.

It all boils down to we're stuck at #3 and we're paying a lot and can't miss. That's why we need to go with the safest pick possible.

On another note, no salary cap or salary floor next year either if they don't reach a deal.

Well, realistically, they will reach a deal before any draft picks are signed. There will be a cap and a floor. Also, while it's difficult to tell what is really going on behind the scenes since both the owners and players are doing spin control -- it seems like a Rookie Cap in some form will be a part of any new CBA.

All your concerns, while valid in the worst case scenario, shouldn't really play out. A new deal will get done and most likely there will be a Rookie Cap in some form.

Well, realistically, they will reach a deal before any draft picks are signed. There will be a cap and a floor. Also, while it's difficult to tell what is really going on behind the scenes since both the owners and players are doing spin control -- it seems like a Rookie Cap in some form will be a part of any new CBA.

All your concerns, while valid in the worst case scenario, shouldn't really play out. A new deal will get done and most likely there will be a Rookie Cap in some form.

Also, all time to develop players may be limited due to no training camp. This is why I'm all Miller all the way for #3, safe and can adapt quicker than D line and QB

Also, all time to develop players may be limited due to no training camp. This is why I'm all Miller all the way for #3, safe and can adapt quicker than D line and QB

This is certainly a valid point. And I think something to be more concerned about than your OP. But it only applies if there are any games played in 2011. I for one think that there won't be -- but I hope to God I'm wrong.

If the lockout lasts into the early summer and OTAs, and part of camp (or even a few games) are missed, than any rookie is going to face a significant learning curve. I hear your fears, but I think they're short sighted. You can't pass on a franchise QB (if you believe one of them truly is) because they might not have enough practice time to contribute in 2011. You have to think of the next 10 years, not just 1.

But that's just me.