I was wrong...and what went right

folz

Time to own up to some of my preseason perceptions:

1. There is no way we have fewer wins than last year...I WAS WRONG

I thought better coaching would overcome the 1st year coach/change in defense and thought

everyone who was predicting 1-4 wins was crazy. And while I felt like the offense took a big

step forward, the defense did take a big step back. But, I do feel the team is in much better

shape than it was a year ago at this time, despite being wrong about the overall record.

2. Anyone but Fitzpatrick should be our QB...I WAS WRONG

To anyone who was pro-Fitz at the beginning of the season, kudos to you. Fitz impressed

me this year and I believe he absolutely should be the starter next year. We can still draft a QB

if a guy we want is there, and groom him behind Fitz, but I want to see if Fitz can keep growing

as a QB and this young team needs a leader like him at the helm.

3. Donte Whitner should not be starting...I WAS WRONG

Come on guys admit it already, Donte had a great season. 140 tackles (96 solos), 1 INT, 1 FF, 1 FR.

If we brought in a FA SS with those stats we'd be drooling all over him. Now, I don't think the team should

overpay to bring him back, so he'll probably be gone, but the guy had a great year. Sure his tackles stats

were padded because obviously the guys in front of him couldn't tackle, but, he was one of the few

guys on our defense who brought it every week...he was hitting hard this year.

4. Switching to the 3-4 wouldn't set the team back this year...I WAS WRONG

All of you who said we didn't have the right players to do it we're right. Although I knew we

weren't strong at LB and I didn't like how many guys had to switch positions, I thought by

the end of the year they could be solid...I was wrong. We need major upgrades at LB and DLine

(except for Kyle, Moats, and maybe Poz, and Merriman--If he can play like his old self). And

I'm not sold on Edwards as DC either.

Well, we all know what went wrong this season, but since I'm always an optimist...

WHAT WENT RIGHT:

1. I still think Chan is the right coach for this team. I like what I saw from him this year.

2. We finally have a capable QB...maybe not a superstar, but a guy who can move the chains. I still believe in Fitzmagic.

3. Stevie Johnson...I knew he was gonna be a player...had some drops down the stretch but will keep improving.

4. All of the WRs: Evans, Johnson, Parrish, Nelson, Jones, Naman, and Easley will be coming back.

5. Arthur Moats looks to be a player.

6. Kyle Williams is a beast. Now depending on how you want to go on D maybe you move him to DE,

but you find a way to keep this guy on the field.

7. Team chemistry. I think everything went right in this department from Buddy on down...these guys

have a good work ethic, gained a lot of confidence, became close through adversity, and will go to battle

for their coach and the guy next to him (don't underestimate how important this is).

8. The coaches now know the players and Chan isn't afraid to dump dead weight or start young guys

who are showing promise.

9. Experience. A lot of young guys got a lot of good game-time experience.

As always, we need to focus on the lines this offseason. Even though its become a passing league,

you still need to run and stop the run and we didn't do either well this year. We need to fix that

D-line, add a LB or two, and figure out a way to get the offensive line to run block better (maybe leave

Wood at center, bring in a real RT, and then decide if you need an upgrade at RG also).

But I do still feel this team is on the upswing. And with a good draft and off-season this team could

make real strides forward next year.

Damn, I think these rose-colored glasses are crazy-glued to my head...oh well, Go Bills!

why does everyone think that when you admit what you were wrong about on here... you can make more bold remarks and you can now think you are right ... again?

What's the problem? If you removed all the bold remarks that people thought were right then there wouldn't be much left.