my worst draft nightmare(s)

1) somehow falls to Buffalo either by trade or luck and HE DECIDES TO PULL AN ELI

or

2) New England, who has multiple picks in the first 3 rounds jumps up in the draft to pick Bradys replacement. Being far out in round 1, be worried if they start making moves to get closer to picks that Carolina would be OK with. They have a lot of talent to sweeten the pot too. Luck following Brady for another 10-15 years makes me want to throw up.

If either happens, we better build a monster defense and offense that can run, run, run.

Nix better be alert about what our competitors are doing.

1) somehow falls to Buffalo either by trade or luck and HE DECIDES TO PULL AN ELI

or

2) New England, who has multiple picks in the first 3 rounds jumps up in the draft to pick Bradys replacement. Being far out in round 1, be worried if they start making moves to get closer to picks that Carolina would be OK with. They have a lot of talent to sweeten the pot too. Luck following Brady for another 10-15 years makes me want to throw up.

If either happens, we better build a monster defense and offense that can run, run, run.

Nix better be alert about what our competitors are doing.

I guess 1. is plausible but why on earth would the Patriots draft a QB with the top pick in the draft when they just signed Brady to a monster extension? You're going to give 60-70 million to your backup QB?

Wow... folks are off their meds.

What in New England's drafting history would ever make you believe they would trade away draft picks for a QB in the first round??

Unlike some of the more stubborn posters here, NE does not believe that "elite" QB's are only drafted in the first round, rather they find QBs with some skills they think translate well to the NFL and they coach them up to play in their proven offensive system. With all the supporting pieces in place - a proven offensive line, and a great supporting cast of receivers and elusive running backs, Belicheat slaps a new cog in the wheel and they keep rolling.

Brady - 6th round

Cassel - 230 pick in the 7th round

Brian Hoyer (ONLY current backup to Brady) - not even freaking drafted.

If the Bills are looking for an elite QB they might as well trade NE for Hoyer - he is probably more prepared to start in the NFL than any available wet-behind-the-ears rookie draft pick. Do any of you doubt that if Brady went down with an injury that Hoyer would not lead the Patriots to several wins - you have to ask yourself deep down why that is so?

Besides, even with the ammunition that NE has, there is a substantial difference between the #1 overall pick and a mid first rounder (which mercifully is "all" they are getting from Oakland), even if it is paired with another late first rounder and early 2nd rounder. With Luck not being an ordinary #1 pick, I doubt that the Panthers would even trade the pick to the Bills for their #3 overall pick and their 2012 #1 (which would likely be another high first rounder).