89 members have voted

1. 1. He contributes to the level on Bills defense "

• Makes it through camp.
    • Sees the field.
    • Contributes at all.
    • Starts.
    • Has more sacks than say Kelsay.
    • Makes Pro Bowl.

A couple of things are at play here. Merriman needed a change of scenery like a fish needs water. Dude needed out of San Diego in the worst way. Neither side was happy with eachother. Secondly, he has had a full year off. For a guy who is as explosive and dominant when healthy as Merriman, a year to "get right" is really a good thing. Personally, I dont think the Bills would have resigned him now if they did not feel good about his health and his desire to return to Pro Bowl form. Honestly, I am very excited about this move, and what it will allow us to do in the draft in April.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5978595

Look at the last paragraph stated what they think the contract is for. No wonder he signed with us. Hasn't made an impact in over 2 years yet gets that much money. No wonder why we suck

It states he's going to take an exit physical. Not sure what that means, but he took a physical before

signing originally and they couldn't detect any issue. Then was IR'd with two hours of stepping on practice field?

Look at the last paragraph stated what they think the contract is for. No wonder he signed with us. Hasn't made an impact in over 2 years yet gets that much money. No wonder why we suck

I take everything ESPN says with a grain of salt. They are too often wrong for me to go with their word blindly. For instance, the whole Levi Brown thing when we resigned him after dropping Trent.

Nix isn't an idiot. But, he has wasted 2-3 million on guys like Merriman and Green last year. He's willing to spend money to get results. I like that about him. I only hope he keeps bringing in players who can make plays. As far as the Merriman resigning goes, the Bills will surely have set the contract at a minimum of a few million for the first year, with more the following, so that if he gets hurt or doesn't play well they can cut him and he's only going to cost them I'd guess between 2-4 million (factoring in this season's pay he collected). That is a gamble - but Buddy is at least trying to bring in good talent here.

I still think we're going to bring in a few more promising linebackers this year, through draft and F.A.. The way this team loaded up on players last year, they set the team up with lower to mid level talent. Now they know where the holes are... lets hope they bring in the guys to fill them.

So, considering Merriman is healthy, he will play LOLB? Moats would be ROLB? I would think he'd be out there over Kelsay. So what does that make Kelsay? A six million dollar a year backup? Oh boy...

I just read my post, and that Kelsay and that Green signing and contract value makes Buddy look like an idiot. Lets hope he doesn't keep spending this kind of dough on players other teams in our division wouldn't even pay vet minimum for.

It all depends on his injury. If he's fully recovered by OTA's, then Nix is a genius. If not, then Nix is an idiot. It's that simple! Hang on guys...lemme check my crystal ball...

Ok...my crystal ball says Nix is a genius! But I did drop it last night at a New Years Eve party while trying to see if I was gonna hit the lottery in 2011...so I'm not sure if I damaged it. DANG...if only we could know for sure! I guess that's what makes life interesting!

Nix isn't an idiot. But, he has wasted 2-3 million on guys like Merriman and Green last year. He's willing to spend money to get results. I like that about him. I only hope he keeps bringing in players who can make plays. As far as the Merriman resigning goes, the Bills will surely have set the contract at a minimum of a few million for the first year, with more the following, so that if he gets hurt or doesn't play well they can cut him and he's only going to cost them I'd guess between 2-4 million (factoring in this season's pay he collected). That is a gamble - but Buddy is at least trying to bring in good talent here.

I still think we're going to bring in a few more promising linebackers this year, through draft and F.A.. The way this team loaded up on players last year, they set the team up with lower to mid level talent. Now they know where the holes are... lets hope they bring in the guys to fill them.

So, considering Merriman is healthy, he will play LOLB? Moats would be ROLB? I would think he'd be out there over Kelsay. So what does that make Kelsay? A six million dollar a year backup? Oh boy...I just read my post, and that Kelsay and that Green signing and contract value makes Buddy look like an idiot. Lets hope he doesn't keep spending this kind of dough on players other teams in our division wouldn't even pay vet minimum for.

How fast is Maybin cut, after the weigh in at his physical I would guess or do they give him the camp to compete with Kelsay and see who wins out.

A source said Merriman is guaranteed $2.5 million for the 2011 season and will make an average $5.25 million during the two years.

He has play-time and performance incentives that could boost the contract to $9.25 million a season but a more reasonable sum is $8.75 million if Merriman remains healthy and plays well.

What's the problem? That's really not all that much and he only gets paid really well if he reaches the incentives, which would mean he's earned it.

Seems to assure that Kelsay is gone. He's not a fit in this defense. And he gets paid like he's great for it.

I disagree, they don't play the same position. Perhaps assures Kelsay will see less time at OLB if they go 3-4. They didn't just extend the guy 5 years in week 4 to cut him in the offseason.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Seems to assure that Kelsay is gone. He's not a fit in this defense. And he gets paid like he's great for it.

Man-o-man...Let's hope you are correct! The Kelsay signing is the one move that this team made in 2010 that I can't figure out. I just can't wrap myself around this move & it's making me doubt Nix & Gailey. I can work thru the Spiller pick...I can work though naming TE the starter (due to his strong practices), but the Kelsay signing...I wish someone could explain it to me so I could rid myself of this bitter taste in my mouth. Maybe...just maybe...this Merriman signing is their way to fix this snafu.