Players who are solid, but not great

Dorkington

Often times I get shouted down here because I think a few of our better players aren't great, but are solid NFL players.

Players on this list:

- Kyle Williams

- Fred Jackson

- Ryan Fitzpatrick

- Steve Johnson

And probably a few others.

What this means, is... I don't think any of these guys are hall of famers, pro bowlers, all time greats, whatever. But they are players who make plays, also make mistakes, belong on the football field, and should start at least some of the time on most teams.

This does NOT mean that I think they suck, should be cut, traded, fired, whatever.

At the same time, this does not mean I think they are the answer at the position, and am open (and somewhat hopeful) that they get replaced with someone better, and then these solid players are used to fill out the depth of our team. IMO, a strong team has a few great players, and A LOT of solid players.

-----------

Also, along the same lines. I sometimes get shouted down for thinking certain players aren't as horrible as many make them out to be.

- Donte Whitner

- Paul Posluszny

etc

These players, again, I don't think are the worst on the team by any stretch. I don't think they are anything but solid players, and again not great. Ideally, I'd love to see them be great, but they simply aren't. Donte isn't the worst DB we have, and generally makes solid plays around the ball. Same with Poz, he isn't dominating at the position, but tends to make solid plays around the ball. Both guys make their fair share of mistakes.

Again, I'd like to see them stay, but also get players that are better than them, and shore up our overall depth.

Hopefully this is clarifying.

I think our team is hurting, and I'm frustrated about it. We have a lot of mediocre players, a few solid players, a few bad players, and really no great players. I want that to change. My opinions are not always binary.

The fact that you did not list a single O-linemen speaks volumes as to our problems. I watch A LOT of other teams line play, and ours is a joke. We can't run block against the good Ds and we can only pass block for the 2 step drop.

OL needs time and good health to really click. I don't suspect we've got our five starters for the future on this roster, but Wood, Levitre, and possibly Bell are worth continuing to invest in, and I'd love to see one of Urbik or any of the other recent pickups work in the system over an offseason. If they can draft another 1-2 linemen and make some kind of savvy FA pickup, I think this line could have some good options for 2011. What they can't do is lack depth to the point where they have to dig through the scrap heap for starters like they did this year. Wang's injury didn't help, but they should have had some new vet help that improved upon the Kirk Chamberses of the world.

The fact that you did not list a single O-linemen speaks volumes as to our problems. I watch A LOT of other teams line play, and ours is a joke. We can't run block against the good Ds and we can only pass block for the 2 step drop.

They'd be under "etc", I think our interior guys are ok, it's our edge guys that seem to have issues. But then again, I see we have a hard time running inside sometimes too... who knows.

My brain gets tired thinking about this team sometimes. :blush: