Belichick loves him some Fred Jackson

thewildrabbit

Hmmm, that's funny, according to Howard Simon and Jeremy White, Fred Jackson needs to be phased out of the offense next year because he's an average back at best. I think I respect their football acumen over the "great" Belichick. :wallbash: :wallbash:

I actually like Simon's show, but when Jeremy said that Jackson isn't that good of a running back I wanted to drop-kick my radio.

If you listen to Belichick long enough, you'll come away with the impression that the Bills' roster is full of Pro Bowlers and future Hall of Famers, and that the Lawyer Milloy bowl happened just yesterday.

That said, he's dead right about Fred Jackson being a very good back.

Fred is an enigma. Its not clear why he is so good, he is not the biggest, the strongest or the fastest, he just somehow gets it done. It's why, I guess, he went for so long without being discovered. My only worry with him form the Bills perspective is around 29-30 lots of the greats have fallen off of a cliff.

Actually the reason he is so good is because he is pretty big (6'1", 215 is not a small back), pretty strong (consistently breaks tackles and gets the extra yards) and fast enough (witness his long run vs the Bengals if memory serves).

Actually the reason he is so good is because he is pretty big (6'1", 215 is not a small back), pretty strong (consistently breaks tackles and gets the extra yards) and fast enough (witness his long run vs the Bengals if memory serves).

On top of that, Freddie has good vision and instincts, is patient, understands blocking schemes and fights for every yard.

Also Fred's a great blocker.

And normally he's an excellent receiver but he's dropped three passes in the last two weeks.

Regardless, Freddie is one of the most underrated backs in the league.

While we're singing Fred Jackson's praises, I might as well post something that hasn't been mentioned yet anywhere.

Fred has been doing a damn good imitation of "Beast Mode" underscoring how little difference there really is as far as brute power in his game and Marshawn Lynch's.

In the week 11 win at Cincinnati, Bengals safety Chris Crocker was injured trying to tackle Fred Jackson. Later in the first half, the other safety, Roy Williams was also injured trying to tackle Freddy. Neither player returned to the game and Chris Crocker was placed on IR in the week following the game.

In that same game there were no less than 3 plays which were whistled dead after Freddy's forward progress was stopped, even though Cinci was unable to bring him to the ground.

Fast forward three weeks to the Brown's game. Browns cornerback Sheldon Brown tried to tackle Freddy and sustained an injury. Later in the game, linebacker David Bowens tried to finish off Freddy and got the worse of the deal. Neither Brown or Bowens was able to return to the game.

So in addition to singlehandedly injuring four opposing defenders, I've counted at least a dozen plays this year where Fred Jackson has been whistled down even though he could not be brought down by would-be gang tacklers.

Beast Mode? Indeed.