Leodis McKelvin

Fitzmagic

does he survive the 2011 off season?

I say yes... only as a corner back. Maybe a Nickel only and that IS IT.

the dude is probably the best pure athlete on this team next to Spiller and maybe Johnson. Unfortunately he ain't that smart. He just needs to be slapped upside the head a few times.

Just have Kyle Williams or Troup sit on him every time he loses the ball. He'll be fine.

C

You can train a anyone to hold onto the ball, sometimes it takes a little while. Tiki Barber comes to mind as does Adrian Peterson. They lost the ball often for a couple of years, then coaching fixed it. Same can happen with Leodis. And Tiki and AP carried it all the time, Leodis is not an RB and only carries it a couple times a game. Give him another offseason with Gailey coaching him and we will see a big change. Too much talent to keep on the bench for returns. To my eye, he seems much more explosive than Spiller.

I agree from the Eye Test McKelvin looks like a much more explosive Kick returner.

The problem is in the last 2 seasons he has 18 KR, 4 fumbles, and 3 Lost Fumbles, that means he is fumbling on 22% of his Kick Returns.

It is too risky, when you turn the ball over on a kick return, you are putting a tired defense that most likely just gave up a score back on the field and most likely the opposing team has great field position if not already in scoring position. It is a huge game changer. The risk is too high.

Its better to start your offense at the 20 or 30 with a less explosive kick returner than have McKelvin fumble the ball 1 out of every 5 returns.

Its not even worth working on it in practice imo.

He needs to work on better technique as a CB.

He still doesn't turn his head and identify the ball when the ball is being thrown. He watches the numbers of the reviver, thats how you get PI calls or get yourself out of position to make a play on the reception. When you watch the receivers numbers you're just a bystander to the catch and then have to react after the catch is made. He is a superior athlete so he can react quickly but he needs to put himself in better position to breakup the catch.

He really needs a lot of work and training to be a better CB, and not just rely on his athletic ability.

I worry that he may not be willing or understand the amount of work he needs to put in to be a CB, not just an athletic football player.

McKelvin is essentially in his second year...lost a year to injury. Incredible physical talent. And, looks like he belongs out there. Yes, he has made mistakes, but that is OK...great season to do that. And, I expect him to start next year...either opposite McGee (Florence a free agent) or with Florence...if the Bills can resign him. No way to is a McCargo or Maybin situation...not even close. Been watching the Bills for 50 years (yeh, grey hair), I like what McKelvin is GOING TO BE. The man has all pro potential...all of you out there with short fuses...put them OUT!

I agree - McKelvin's problem isn't that he is lacking physical skills or football ability. He seems to have a problem on the concentration side of things, which is correctable. I can't understand how a team with almsot zero true physical talents would cut one of them. These are the types of players that eventually turn out to be great. If they kept some of these other guys as longa s they have, they owe McKelvin at least a total of 5 uninjured years.

I agree - McKelvin's problem isn't that he is lacking physical skills or football ability. He seems to have a problem on the concentration side of things, which is correctable. I can't understand how a team with almsot zero true physical talents would cut one of them. These are the types of players that eventually turn out to be great. If they kept some of these other guys as longa s they have, they owe McKelvin at least a total of 5 uninjured years.

I personally wonder if McKelvin's brain farts are in fact, correctable. Things as simple as securing the ball don't seem like things a football player needs to learn more than once…and you'd think that it's something that should be learned in high school football.

I also question whether Leodis has the mental toughness. His bad plays seem to come in droves…like things snowball on him.

There are plenty of gifted corners who bombed in this league because of their mental makeup…Tye Hill, Pacman Jones, except for his rookie year, Dunta Robinson, Phillip Buchanan.

Don't get me wrong. I'm pulling for Leodis to become a player worthy of his draft position. But I have my doubts about him.