Trying to make sense of the 2010 Buffalo Bills

LGB

Okay, you have a need. Let’s say you have a need and at the same time you have a marketing guy as your GM.

Wait, check that…what if…for every time you have drafted in the last decade you had a need and the prevailing wisdom from the media and internal scouts was - that if you were deficit in one area - you had to take the best available player at the position that you were proclaimed to be deficit in.

This is the Buffalo Bills.

How many RBs have the Bills tried since Thurman Thomas?

How Many QBs have the Bills tried since Jim Kelly?

Look, the draft is a crapshoot. Yes, you can look at film, stats, perform character checks and conduct only so much research (remember how Lynch stories were filled with character references from his mother?). The fact of the matter is that the Bills have not been lucky or smart when drafting players (they are jettisoning 1st round picks for 4th round picks). When it is your time to make a selection, you take what is perceived to be the best player that your team needs.

The problem is the Bills have not been able to get any value with their high draft picks and consequently have not been able to improve.

This is the 2010 Buffalo Bills.

If you were in charge, how would you have done things differently?

If you were in charge, how would you have done things differently?

very.

seriously tho, i think some continuity would have helped a lot of players. continuity in the FO, continuity in the coaching staff, continuity in schemes...

i'm not saying they should've kept anyone just for the sake of continuity, but they let lots of good players go. and the coaching/coordinator carousel hinders player development. for example, trent. now he sucks and i'm not sure the best coaches in the world would turn him into peyton, but he, along with all the players, were constantly being forced to use new schemes and strategies. that effects a player's comfort zone and confidence. this goes back to the FO. if they could manage to find and keep decent coaches, the players would benefit and wouldn't have to be constantly evaluated and see where they fit.

i thought gailey was known for coaching to his players' strengths. not that we have (m)any.

yes, there's been some bad draft blunders, but good F0s, coaches, and scouts, find players who fit into their systems and molds. When your team has no identity and seemingly no plan - and nothing to really build around, you get our bills.

Good coaches are hard to land in Buffalo. The best coaches do not want to come here either because they don't have the control that they would like or the money and the Bills have not been able to find a diamond in the rough that can turn things around - so they keep trying.

In order to put a good team on the field, everything has to be firing on all cylinders and for the Bills it has been one misfire after another. Do the Bills have it figured out this time around? Think about all the things that have to be correct to succeed. The GM, scouts, coaches and players making up the bulk of it, but in terms of building from the draft, it sometimes comes down to luck which might be the name we hear for the Bills in the first round of the 2011 draft.

For starters, if I were GM and had complete control over the draft/personel, I would have done things like this starting with our own players @ the time in '06:

1. I extend Fletcher because he's the leader of the defense.

2. Regardless of what the rest of you think, I liked McGahee and would've tried my best to keep him in Buffalo. The guy ran hard and had 3 solid years here.

Next the '06 Draft:

1. Ngata with our first which keeps us from trading up for McCargo.

2. Round 2 I get Marcus McNeil. The guy only gave up 1 sack his entire Senior year playing in the SEC. As you see, Nix had a part in selecting him in SD. Round 3 on who knows, but those were who I wanted in the first two rounds.

'07 Players:

I know Clements is gone because we can't afford him, but we also still have Fletcher and McGahee so our draft strategy changes. We also have McNeil and Peters as bookend OT's.

'07 Draft:

1. Round 1 I would likely have taken Timmons to play ROLB with Spikes gone. Thought he was beast comoing out of college.

2. Round 2 I would have taken a C to replace Fowler's sorry tail. My OL would already consist of Peters, Dockery, Butler, and McNeil so I would've taken Ryan Kalil who was the best C in the draft. Round 3 through the rest who knows?

'08 Players:

So bye '08 the trenches are set, minus the underachieving/overpaid Dockery. Would've had McNeil on the blindside and Peters @ RT, though I do believe there still may have been trouble with Peters. Winning would've changed mindsets to a certain extent, but he always seemed a bit arrogant and "money first" mentally. I would have Butler @ RG and Kalil @ C. Hopefully, Timmons with his athleticism is fitting into the defense nicely. I go ahead and try to extend Greer during the season so he doesn't walk @ year's end. Everyone could see that Greer was turning into a good player. Not sure if I would've made the Stroud trade so I'll act as if not.

'08 Draft:

1. This is where it would've gotten tough. I likely would've taken Branden Albert to replace Dockery so we could free up his money.

2. I probably would've taken Hardy too @ that point. He seemed like a promising talent coming out of Indiana. We all see how that worked out.

3. Round 3 I would've taken Jamaal Charles as a change of pace from McGahee. I thought that KC got a steal in the 3rd when they got him because he was explosive and had good hands. From there out who knows?

'09 Players:

Peters is a malcontent so the deal with Philly still gets done. That sets us up with two 1st Round picks and I know I have to replace Peters. The OL is now McNeil, Albert, Kalil, RG plug in with Butler retired, and the drafted replacement for Peters.

'09 Draft:

1. To replace Peters I take Oher, another excellent prospect that played at a top level against SEC competition. Was ticked when we didn't take him having the need @ OT. It would've been alright except we chose Maybin over Orakpo. :wallbash:

2. 2nd first round choice I go with Everett Brown to play opposite Schobel. Brown was a beast the year he came out and wasn't a drop off compared to Orakpo IMO.

3. I know I would not have taken Byrd and that would've been our loss. I probably would've taken William Moore, SS from Mizzou. From there on who knows?

'10 Players:

By this season my OL would be McNeil, Albert, Kalil, replacement for the RG, and Oher @ RT. On the DL I have to get Schobel's replacement, got Ngata, whoever @ the other DT, and Everett Brown. The LB's would be Fletcher, Timmons, and whoever. The secondary would be Greer, McGee, Moore, and Wilson. Who knows who the QB would've been by now? I have McGahee and Jamaal Charles @ RB. Still have only Lee Evans @ WR, but with the OL we would be a top rushing team in the league. We could get away with alot more in the passing game.

'10 Draft:

1. Brandon Graham is taken to replace Schobel.

2. I take Clausen in the 2nd without the blink of an eye.

3. I take Shipley as quick as we go on the clock.

4. I get Cam Thomas to play along side of Ngata. The rest of the way I have no clue who I take.

We would be in a whole lot better shape than we are now, IMO.

For starters, if I were GM and had complete control over the draft/personel, I would have done things like this starting with our own players @ the time in '06:

1. I extend Fletcher because he's the leader of the defense.

2. Regardless of what the rest of you think, I liked McGahee and would've tried my best to keep him in Buffalo. The guy ran hard and had 3 solid years here.

Next the '06 Draft:

1. Ngata with our first which keeps us from trading up for McCargo.

2. Round 2 I get Marcus McNeil. The guy only gave up 1 sack his entire Senior year playing in the SEC. As you see, Nix had a part in selecting him in SD. Round 3 on who knows, but those were who I wanted in the first two rounds.

'07 Players:

I know Clements is gone because we can't afford him, but we also still have Fletcher and McGahee so our draft strategy changes. We also have McNeil and Peters as bookend OT's.

'07 Draft:

1. Round 1 I would likely have taken Timmons to play ROLB with Spikes gone. Thought he was beast comoing out of college.

2. Round 2 I would have taken a C to replace Fowler's sorry tail. My OL would already consist of Peters, Dockery, Butler, and McNeil so I would've taken Ryan Kalil who was the best C in the draft. Round 3 through the rest who knows?

'08 Players:

So bye '08 the trenches are set, minus the underachieving/overpaid Dockery. Would've had McNeil on the blindside and Peters @ RT, though I do believe there still may have been trouble with Peters. Winning would've changed mindsets to a certain extent, but he always seemed a bit arrogant and "money first" mentally. I would have Butler @ RG and Kalil @ C. Hopefully, Timmons with his athleticism is fitting into the defense nicely. I go ahead and try to extend Greer during the season so he doesn't walk @ year's end. Everyone could see that Greer was turning into a good player. Not sure if I would've made the Stroud trade so I'll act as if not.

'08 Draft:

1. This is where it would've gotten tough. I likely would've taken Branden Albert to replace Dockery so we could free up his money.

2. I probably would've taken Hardy too @ that point. He seemed like a promising talent coming out of Indiana. We all see how that worked out.

3. Round 3 I would've taken Jamaal Charles as a change of pace from McGahee. I thought that KC got a steal in the 3rd when they got him because he was explosive and had good hands. From there out who knows?

'09 Players:

Peters is a malcontent so the deal with Philly still gets done. That sets us up with two 1st Round picks and I know I have to replace Peters. The OL is now McNeil, Albert, Kalil, RG plug in with Butler retired, and the drafted replacement for Peters.

'09 Draft:

1. To replace Peters I take Oher, another excellent prospect that played at a top level against SEC competition. Was ticked when we didn't take him having the need @ OT. It would've been alright except we chose Maybin over Orakpo. :wallbash:

2. 2nd first round choice I go with Everett Brown to play opposite Schobel. Brown was a beast the year he came out and wasn't a drop off compared to Orakpo IMO.

3. I know I would not have taken Byrd and that would've been our loss. I probably would've taken William Moore, SS from Mizzou. From there on who knows?

'10 Players:

By this season my OL would be McNeil, Albert, Kalil, replacement for the RG, and Oher @ RT. On the DL I have to get Schobel's replacement, got Ngata, whoever @ the other DT, and Everett Brown. The LB's would be Fletcher, Timmons, and whoever. The secondary would be Greer, McGee, Moore, and Wilson. Who knows who the QB would've been by now? I have McGahee and Jamaal Charles @ RB. Still have only Lee Evans @ WR, but with the OL we would be a top rushing team in the league. We could get away with alot more in the passing game.

'10 Draft:

1. Brandon Graham is taken to replace Schobel.

2. I take Clausen in the 2nd without the blink of an eye.

3. I take Shipley as quick as we go on the clock.

4. I get Cam Thomas to play along side of Ngata. The rest of the way I have no clue who I take.

There is no doubt that is a better lineup and I am guessing the coaching would been different.

For starters, if I were GM and had complete control over the draft/personel..........

Well, that sure was quite the plan there. The problem starts with that first sentence tho.

They should just keep the TV on in the draft room and go by the ESPN recommended picks. They would be MUCH better if they did.

Oh the Cinnci a few years ago plan, yeah how'd that work out for them.