Draft implications of no 2011 season?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5652700

Long time reader, first time post. If it is becoming more likely there is no 2011 season, what happens to the 2011 draft? Does it happen? Do players (like Andrew Luck) stay away from a draft when there is no season that follows it? I'd assume there are a few scenarios that play out based on when a holdout becomes official. Would this work into the favor of a Bills team acquiring draft pick for next years draft or against them? Could this potentially double the talent pool for a 2012 draft?

Long time reader, first time post. If it is becoming more likely there is no 2011 season, what happens to the 2011 draft? Does it happen? Do players (like Andrew Luck) stay away from a draft when there is no season that follows it? I'd assume there are a few scenarios that play out based on when a holdout becomes official. Would this work into the favor of a Bills team acquiring draft pick for next years draft or against them? Could this potentially double the talent pool for a 2012 draft?

My understanding is that there would be a draft. Underclassmen would have the option, of course, of not entering the draft but they would be risking injury at the college level by playing.

I do not know if any of the drafted players would get paid anything but the owners might set up some system where contracts are signed with contingencies.

I cannot see the draft order changing if an entire year is lost. Thus, the 2012 draft would have the same draft order as 2011 if a strike canceled out 2011 and then 2012 returned as per usual.

It would be sweet Cosmic Karma if:

A) We finished with the top draft pick this year

B) There was a lockout after the 2011 draft

C) There was a 2012 draft with the same draft order

D) A strict rookie cap in place so top 10 picks aren't woth $60MM

We, as Bills fans, deserve this. TWO consecutive top pick drafts with rookie pay scales.

That image is what I will choose to hold onto while we suffer through another miserable season.

Fans Guide to NFL Labor Battle - Link

"If theres a lockout, will there still be a draft next spring?

Yes, but it wont be business as usual for the teams or for the players they select. With no CBA in place, teams wont be able to sign players, and those post-draft minicamps will be non-existent. Also, in the absence of a CBA, the leagues ability to generate revenues from the new crop of big-name draftees will be limited. In other words, if you want to purchase one of those sweet new Jake Locker jerseys in the aftermath of his being drafted, youll have to buy one without his name on the back of it or wait until a new CBA is signed."

I would guess that the possibility of no football in 2011 could deter underclassmen from declaring, especially since they won't be signing contracts until the work stoppage is over.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

C) There was a 2012 draft with the same draft order

Wont happen. Can't remember exactly how it'll work, but I've read it's not the same order. However it's decided tho, think it'll still be in Bills' favor.

Edited by dgrid