Just the Beginning?

PDaDdy

I understand the shakeout but what I dont understand is the timing... Why not before the start of the season, why now...

Injuries, salaries, opportunities.

Plus we have needs too.

Perhaps we wanted to see what kind of team would take the field this season. If it was more of the same, then we're getting rid of it all (makes me wonder how Modrak and Kelsay can remain employed and get extensions). Those are the only 2 that don't make sense. Otherwise, I am fully onboard with all of these moves thus far.

But I also posted in another space that we have been close to greatness, if only we had made better decisions. Cameron Wake. Orakpo or Oher instead of Maybin. Ngata instead of Whitner. Keeping Fletcher, Williams, and Winfield. Keeping Incognito. Drafting TE's Pettigrew and Gronkowski.

Indeed, we'd be a much stouter, talented, and more successful team than we are right now.

But because we're not, it should all be up for grabs.

Theres a lot of valid points being made too many to quote. However, as I understand it, He can void 2012 giving him the remainder of this season under contract and next season. We're going nowhere this season and even if miracles were to happen next season we're not going to be going deep into the playoffs. My point is its not like Lynch was going to be a vital piece in a major SB run this year or next. Also we do have a couple of good backs in Jackson and Spiller. Lynch definitely wasnt going to resign with us after next year. I'd imagine he's more valuable with a year left on his contract as opposed to having to work out a new contract with him prior to trading him. I highly doubt he'd be the team MVP this year or next with 2000 yards rushing skyrocketing his value. I had previously pointed out that the Pats only got a 4th for Maroney. Knowing that I thought we did well. The Pats have been the best wheelers and dealers in the draft the last ten years. Then someone here pointed out they had to give up a six in return. I say we did well. As far as the "fire sale"- while some people have a hard time understanding the cutting of Trent I think its pretty clear. Unless Fitz gets hurt or bombs out trent would ride the bench. We're not going anywhere so if someone needs to come off the bench why not Brohm? Trent is out of here at the end of the season so why not give him an opportunity somewhere else. As far as Mitchell, I liked him but he was out for the season and apparently asked for his release. He wasn't a starter in this defense and if they manage to draft/bring in FAs next year he likely wouldnt start then either so why not give him the respect of granting him his release........ And like everyone else I don't understand the new contract for Kelsay....

You're exactly right, it's the beginning of a true re-building process.

an expansion team would have a better shot than the current bills at being a contender. most 1st year expansion teams haven't been as devoid of talent as this (especially after the lynch move today). at least they get to raid other teams rosters for players. what's the fastest you've seen any expansion team make the playoffs?

And that really says it all.

I can understand waiving Edwards, trading Lynch, coming to an agreement with Mitchell to let him go, saying 'see ya' to Hardly.

These are all players (with the exception of Lynch) that have been spotty at best for us. Edwards did not work out, so why prolong the inevitable? If they are all equal in terms of ability, then what difference does it make? We make progress as a roster closing up the Edwards tent, moving on, and giving Brohm and Brown as much work as we can. We turn the corner.

Mitchell was not a stud LB. He was respectable. But he would be out of position, blocked off the ball, etc. For 2 seasons in a row now, we have injuries creeping in. Not good for a position like LB.

Hardy should reflect the poor scouting of Modrak and Co. How Tom Modrak still has a job at OBD is beyond me. But we finally parted ways. I was pleased.

Lynch, for all of his talent, began to grow restless in Buffalo. He seemed to me to be starting to suffer from McGahee syndrome. "I'm better than this city", etc. Terrible symptoms of arrogance and inflated self-importance. Throw a little DUI and canadian bashing with your SUV and its clear he was distracted. What makes me mad is that it is for UNDISCLOSED draft picks. So, we have to wait to find out what we got out of this deal. He was a 1st rounder. I sure hope that we got atleast a high 3rd with maybe a 4th or 5th for him. Anything less, and we were robbed. But if Modrak and Co. are still doing the scouting, I don't think 20 1st rounders is going to make a difference.

But the Kelsay deal makes no sense. We got RID of John Guy and his stupidity. Kelsay has done nothing to justify being a ball boy. I thought Whaley was supposed to bring Pittsburgh-like experience to our free agent dealings. This is hardly steel city thinking.

The Kelsay extension makes absolutely no sense.

Something to add to this. I'm sure as many we have all been to a few games over the years. This past Sunday was the first time I sat in the 1st row behind the Buffalo bench. I have to say I have loved the Bills over the years and I am a fan but some of our fans are idiots. You should have heard some of the **** coming out of these guys mouths. If I'm a young 24 year old athlete on the other side of the country from my home in a foreign city and I have to hear jackasses bath mouthing me and my team knowing nothing about me as a person other than what you read in the papers or see on ESPN I would find it really hard to embrace that city.

We want to pretend that these guys are greeted with open arms and are embraced by the fans. This is simply not the case. All it takes if a few out spoken a-holes to turn someone sour to a whole fan base, city or culture. You should have heard the crap they were talking about Spiller!! A good kid who got great grades and seems to be an all around decent guy. Talking about he should have never been drafted, he sucks, Gailey and nix suck for drafting him....blah blah blah blah.

Way to make the players feel welcome. People wonder why we can't get free agents? Julius Peppers got a better offer from us but said no way to Buffalo? People never accept blame but it has to make you wonder how much of it is the fans fault as well?

Theres a lot of valid points being made too many to quote. However, as I understand it, He can void 2012 giving him the remainder of this season under contract and next season. We're going nowhere this season and even if miracles were to happen next season we're not going to be going deep into the playoffs. My point is its not like Lynch was going to be a vital piece in a major SB run this year or next. Also we do have a couple of good backs in Jackson and Spiller. Lynch definitely wasnt going to resign with us after next year. I'd imagine he's more valuable with a year left on his contract as opposed to having to work out a new contract with him prior to trading him. I highly doubt he'd be the team MVP this year or next with 2000 yards rushing skyrocketing his value. I had previously pointed out that the Pats only got a 4th for Maroney. Knowing that I thought we did well. The Pats have been the best wheelers and dealers in the draft the last ten years. Then someone here pointed out they had to give up a six in return. I say we did well. As far as the "fire sale"- while some people have a hard time understanding the cutting of Trent I think its pretty clear. Unless Fitz gets hurt or bombs out trent would ride the bench. We're not going anywhere so if someone needs to come off the bench why not Brohm? Trent is out of here at the end of the season so why not give him an opportunity somewhere else. As far as Mitchell, I liked him but he was out for the season and apparently asked for his release. He wasn't a starter in this defense and if they manage to draft/bring in FAs next year he likely wouldnt start then either so why not give him the respect of granting him his release........ And like everyone else I don't understand the new contract for Kelsay....

News Flash...Jackson is 30. What do you think he is going to contribute 3 years from now? I would be somewhat surprised if he is still playing. Either way he won't be a featured back. If he is still on our team he will be a change of pace shifty back that is slower, older and less shifty than Spiller? At 31, 32, 33 I don't think he is going to fill the short yardage roll that Marshawn could.

Edited by PDaDdy