I hate to ruin your draft plans

Despite my screen name, I tend to emphasize a QB's accuracy, ability to read defenses, and ability to process multiple reads quickly a lot more than I do his physical traits. Based on those criteria, my two favorite quarterbacks are Ponder and Luck.

From Buffalo Rumblings: (The same article quoted earlier by gfaulk87.)

I've always said that Ponder is a rhythm quarterback with a low ceiling. He's smart, tough and has good enough athleticism and arm strength. So anything that disrupts that rhythm becomes detrimental to his game. In this case, he's had a bruised triceps on his throwing arm since the Oklahoma game on Sept. 11. The FSU offensive line has been a little iffy this year as well. So both of those have really hampered Ponder.

I've seen a lot more favorable things written about Ponder elsewhere. But before using a first round pick on a guy, it's good to consider the views of the critics, as well as those of the people who like the player. Being a rhythm quarterback is not a bad thing: Montana was a rhythm quarterback. But not all rhythm quarterbacks necessarily have Montana's ceiling. I wish the author of that piece had explained why he feels Ponder's ceiling is low. Is it because of his physical traits? (If that was the case, I wouldn't agree with his logic.) Or is it because he feels NFL defenses will figure out a way to disrupt Ponder's rhythm?

The best way to prevent a defense from getting away with disrupting the

is to have a good offensive line, to have the quarterback get rid of the ball in a hurry after a three step drop, and to have good receiving talent. All those things were true of the 49ers teams of which Montana had been a part.

While Ponder is probably not going to rise to Montana's level. But if the Bills did draft him, it would have to be part of a larger strategy of improving the offensive line, adding receiving talent, employing mostly three step drops, and generally adopting a fast-paced, rhythm offense.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luck is a stud.

Mallet has the most amazing physical tools, but isn't as smart as Luck.

Ponder/Locker are busts.

Pryor is never even considered as a true QB but only brought in for some special wildcat packages.

For a quarterback to be a bust, he needs to fail in a key area of the game. If he lacks passion for football, he's going to be a bust. If he lacks intelligence or the ability to process information quickly (see: Losman), he's likely to be a bust. If he's not an accurate passer, he could well be a bust.

Quite frankly, I don't see Ponder failing in any of those areas. You don't have to agree with me. But if you're going to try to pin the "bust" label on him, please at least identify one or more crucial areas in which you think Ponder will fail as an NFL QB.

For a quarterback to be a bust, he needs to fail in a key area of the game. If he lacks passion for football, he's going to be a bust. If he lacks intelligence or the ability to process information quickly (see: Losman), he's likely to be a bust. If he's not an accurate passer, he could well be a bust.

Quite frankly, I don't see Ponder failing in any of those areas. You don't have to agree with me. But if you're going to try to pin the "bust" label on him, please at least identify one or more crucial areas in which you think Ponder will fail as an NFL QB.

Being drafted.

This years crop of QB's does not rank a low #1-#3 selection in the draft.

There is no Peyton Manning, Sam Bradford, John Elway.

I hate to ruin your plans but the Bills don't need to lose to move up in the draft.

Truth is I would take Fitzpatrick or Brohm over any of these guys. :flirt:

dont show your ignorance of the game by making statements like this that make you look like a fool.

i dont suppose mommy let you stay up late last night so you could see andrew luck play against Oregon?

i know you never heard of Mallet or even Locker but thats ok just keep spewing @ the mouth with dumb comments like this and i'm sure everyone will take you seriously.