Jarius Byrd: the most overrated player on the bills

freester

Freester is on quite a trolling campaign.

Well Dr. I am not a troll. I am giving you the painful facts. I don't think you recognize how substandard the talent is on this team. Byrd's pics last year were the only bright spot on a dismal team. There is a lot more to being a great safety and so far no pics this year.

Byrd can't tackle, can't cover and doesn't hit anybody. Last year he had a bunch on interceptions on poorly thrown balls-that was a fluke. He was another wasted draft pick. He is our 4th best safety behind wilson, whitner, scott

Glad to see the football insight of this board remains a shining star on the (dung)hill....

Certainly Byrd is one of our better players, but he seemed to be lost yesterday. Watch the replay of the second moss TD, he was there way before the ball or Moss and just sort of stood there looking confused. If it's because he is injured, put Wilson out there. Kinda like McGee being left in when not 100% and getting torched by Ted Ginn.

I think Byrd is 'overrated' in the sense that he probably doesn't deserve to be considered the best Bills defender in a decade. But he's a good starter who shows a penchant for making big plays. I'm happy we have him, and I don't htink he's worse than George Wilson.

Here's a voice of reason and moderation. Byrd can be a good starter and he is better than Wilson. I'm satisfied with him as our free safety for future seasons. He does need to improve some things such as tackling.

But I agree with Freester that he gets overrated by Bills fans. The fans simply cling to him because he's the only draft pick from the past 5 years that has produced...AT ALL (besides Lynch but he gets hated on instead). It's the sorry lack of overall talent and numerous draft busts that makes Byrd stand out among the bunch.

Edited by earthtobrint

1. Bryd had 9 INTs in like 10 games. Hardly a fluke. Rather, that's consistency and he rightly made the Pro Bowl.

2. He's playing hurt. Very hurt. He's got an injured groin that is hampering him. He's a tough guy, he played hurt last year too.

3. They're easing him back into it and he's gotta get his legs under him and comfortable due to his injury and missed time in camp.

4. A Free Safety is a range player. You lose some of your range when you have an injured groin. It's a simple as that.

5. QBs are more cautious of him and his knack for INTs.

6. The absolute lack of a pass rush has a direct and adverse impact on DBs and the turnovers they generate, or lack thereof.

Overrated? No.

Best defensive player on our team? Yes.

Byrd is good, but is NOT the best player on our defense, which says a lot. Byrd has the POTENTIAL to be something special, but right now has multiple holes in his game. Can't tackle in the open field, poor angles/run support. He's one dimensional - which makes him ineffective when there is no pash rush and the QB has all day to pick apart the defense.

Best player? See Kyle Williams, who despite no help around him consistently makes plays.

Byrd just got a lot of fluke tipped ball interceptions last year. Everyone here knows he luckboxed his way to the Pro Bowl, people just are not ready to admit it. I mean, its been years and there are still lots of fans that think Whitner is a real good player. He will probably finish this season with one or two interceptions, with everyone making excuses about injury or pass rush or what have you.

Edited by NaPolian8693