Edwards benching

Trent's benching is the biggest disappointment I have felt as a Bills fan since the playoff loss to the Titans in 1997 (I refuse to recognise any of the nicknames for this game).

It's not so much that Fitzpatrick is horrible (which in my view he is), it's more that Edwards benching says something more fundamental about where this organisation is. I think, and have said repeatedly, that the front office needs a major overhaul, from top to bottom, to reset the organisation. The entire front office is largely intact over previous years, and look at the horrible decisions that have been made... They need a root and branch rethink of how this organisation does football - clearing out so many of the scouting and personnel department.

It made me so sad today to think of the Bills and for the first time as a Bills fan that I probably don't care what happens on Sunday. OK this has more to do with the fact that I am a new father, but even so, the Bills are a passion of mine, and to be getting it so spectacularly wrong for so long is a major let down.

I looked at the guys on the field this past Sunday and several realisations hit me then - benching Trent again is the final nail in the coffin. Honestly - look up and down the roster and we will not be remembering fondly very many of these players. That makes me sad because the day I got engaged in Ralph Wilson Stadium, in 2001, it was exactly the same story. Keith Ellison = Brandon Spoon. Reggie Torbor = Eddie Newman. Ryan Fitzpatrick = AVP. The list goes on. Every year I am willing to suspend my irritation at a seemingly inept offseason, only for disappointment to come surging back at the point in the season where you just know the playoffs aren't going to happen.

This year - I have reached THAT point at week 3. And Fitzpatrick is the living embodiment of that feeling - and that's why I hate him. So this Sunday, I'll be there, cradling my 4 week old daughter as we both wear our Bills gear and I will watch the game. But I'll be rooting for Brady who starts for my Fantasy team, and I'll flick to other games to see my Fantasy Team play. Because at least if the Fantasy Team loses, that's on me, and my decisions.

When the Bills lose, I'll just be sad.

Couple of things, the Titans playoff debacle was in 2000. Second, Eddie Newman .... not sure if you're referring to Eddie Robinson (who absolutely sucked...if you get juked by Chad Pennington, hang it up) or Keith Newman (who was actually pretty decent).

I'm not sure why Edwards being benched is any reason to give up on the season - he wasn't the long term answer at QB, so I'm not sure why his benching is a big deal, one way or the other.

Congrats on the kid! It's an awesome (and bleary eyed) roller coaster ride. Mine is now 7 months and it's just a great rush.

As for the Bills? Well, I'm sorry that it feels like a sucker punch and one that showed up early. While I'm sad that we clearly don't have the team capable of being a good one, I'm ONLY sad, not devastated by it. We DID do a flush of who's running things. Sure there are some holdovers, their always are. If they can't fit in with the new regime, they'll leave too. Happens all the time.

Since we already had one of the largest turnovers in personnel in the league (most replaced players from last year). IMO the new coaching staff and pro talent evaluators will sort out the best of what we have left to try and make them a cohesive group. Not necessarily the most talented players, but ones that will fit the best with what we're trying to do. Chris Kelsey is a good example. While he's a whipping boy here on the boards, he's a competent body as a 4-3 DE. However he's WAY out of place as an OLB in a 3-4. Sadly he's still one of our best that we have here. But that'll change next year as I expect that we'll again be amongst the tops in player turnover.

As for this year? I don't hate Fitzpatrick. He's not starting QB material, but I do like his effort. He also throws it downfield, however inaccurately. So enjoy if you can the rest of the team. Look for the gems, the spunky players, the ones that step up, or the ones that can't. Maybe you can enjoy the experience of individual victories, and not just the total team victories as those may be hard to come by.

So the new regime gambled (and lost) that they could make chicken salad out of what QB's we had, remember that they also may not have liked any of their choices last year to bet their jobs on. But clearly they don't like what they've got as the best (TE) isn't good enough so they're going to have to pick somebody new next year. Hopefully they'll get it right!

Edited by Mark Long Beach

We DID do a flush of who's running things. Sure there are some holdovers, their always are. If they can't fit in with the new regime, they'll leave too.

I don't know that there is anyone of note in the front office that hasn't been here for a while. It's all the same people at the top(Modrak/Brandon/Nix).