What I Didn't Like About the Game

I'm usually a glass is half full, optimistic type of fan and do spend time here coming to the defense of players and coaches (probably more than is sensical) when people start bashing them. I usually try to figure out the reasons for moves this teams makes and how those moves are going to help the team win. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about, whether you agree with me or not.

That being said, I thought it would make mroe sense for me to provide a list of things I didn't like than what I did, since that might be more interesting for everyone to read (it's like having a Republican strategist analyze the democrat's strategy - not to get political).

Here's what I didn't like, keeping in mind that nothing I liked wiill be included in this post:

- Trent Edwards: I've defended Trent in the past, probably mostly because I want him to do well more than I think he will. I have not given up on him completely, but to say I was dissapointed with how he played would be an understatement. He looked gun-shy. he had open receivers down field, but would not make the plays. I don't know why he didn't throw the ball to Steve Johnson in the first half when he was open on single coverage. I don't knwo why Roscoe didn't get more balls thrown his way. I get that a portion of this has to get blamed on Gailey for not callign the best plays, but Edwards needs to make plays that can be made and he didn't. It's not uncorrectable, just dissapointing to see that from him when he's supposed to be a "renewed" QB. Watch out for the 1st round QB next year - we run away with that game if we had even Matt Stafford playing QB.

- Kelsey: I like Kelsey for what he does well enough and am probably in the minority or fans who are not terribly upset about his contract vs. production. I still even feel he has a place on this team, this year. That place however, is not as an OLB in coverage. he was pretty dreadful trying to tackle people in space (as he should be for someone who's never done it before). This guy should be primarily the DE in the sub package 4-2 and 4-1 looks - maybe even some 3-2 and 3-1 looks. He has no business playing OLB unless it's an obvious running situation or he's blitzing. Who knows though, maybe he'll get better as he gets more practice at it.

- Offensive Game Plan: CJ should not have started this game or played as much as he did in the first half. Jackson looked pretty good running the football and was better suited to get the type of yards that were there to be gotten in that game. Ditto for Marshawn. CJ looks more like a change of pace, 5 touches - 2 big plays and a TD type of player at this point. He'll get better, but there's no need for him to learn on the job when it's costing the Bills wins or potential wins.

Terrance McGee as #1 CB: Just let McKelvin take over the outside spot and draw the top WR from the other team. He's ready and more than able to do it. McGee is not a bad player, but doesn't have the size to cover anyone over 6'1" and 220 lbs. He gets pushed around way too much and isn't fast enough or quick enough in the short area to recover against bigger players. McGee belongs in the slot.

I'm usually a glass is half full, optimistic type of fan and do spend time here coming to the defense of players and coaches (probably more than is sensical) when people start bashing them. I usually try to figure out the reasons for moves this teams makes and how those moves are going to help the team win. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about, whether you agree with me or not.

That being said, I thought it would make mroe sense for me to provide a list of things I didn't like than what I did, since that might be more interesting for everyone to read (it's like having a Republican strategist analyze the democrat's strategy - not to get political).

Here's what I didn't like, keeping in mind that nothing I liked wiill be included in this post:

- Trent Edwards: I've defended Trent in the past, probably mostly because I want him to do well more than I think he will. I have not given up on him completely, but to say I was dissapointed with how he played would be an understatement. He looked gun-shy. he had open receivers down field, but would not make the plays. I don't know why he didn't throw the ball to Steve Johnson in the first half when he was open on single coverage. I don't knwo why Roscoe didn't get more balls thrown his way. I get that a portion of this has to get blamed on Gailey for not callign the best plays, but Edwards needs to make plays that can be made and he didn't. It's not uncorrectable, just dissapointing to see that from him when he's supposed to be a "renewed" QB. Watch out for the 1st round QB next year - we run away with that game if we had even Matt Stafford playing QB.

- Kelsey: I like Kelsey for what he does well enough and am probably in the minority or fans who are not terribly upset about his contract vs. production. I still even feel he has a place on this team, this year. That place however, is not as an OLB in coverage. he was pretty dreadful trying to tackle people in space (as he should be for someone who's never done it before). This guy should be primarily the DE in the sub package 4-2 and 4-1 looks - maybe even some 3-2 and 3-1 looks. He has no business playing OLB unless it's an obvious running situation or he's blitzing. Who knows though, maybe he'll get better as he gets more practice at it.

- Offensive Game Plan: CJ should not have started this game or played as much as he did in the first half. Jackson looked pretty good running the football and was better suited to get the type of yards that were there to be gotten in that game. Ditto for Marshawn. CJ looks more like a change of pace, 5 touches - 2 big plays and a TD type of player at this point. He'll get better, but there's no need for him to learn on the job when it's costing the Bills wins or potential wins.

Terrance McGee as #1 CB: Just let McKelvin take over the outside spot and draw the top WR from the other team. He's ready and more than able to do it. McGee is not a bad player, but doesn't have the size to cover anyone over 6'1" and 220 lbs. He gets pushed around way too much and isn't fast enough or quick enough in the short area to recover against bigger players. McGee belongs in the slot.

I generally agree, However McGee is not a slot DB but with our group of DB's our top 3 can all be starting somewhere. He doesn't do well with physical recievers as much but he is our best speed DB.