Things I noticed at the game

The reality of today's loss is that it was a 3 point loss at home to a team who is supposed to be MUCH better than us.

The GOOD:

1. The Bills defense made some nice adjustments and did a decent job controlling the run and taking Brandon Marshall out of the game.

2. There were a couple of Aaron Maybin sightings. Yeah I know, he's has a LONG way to go but let me tell you, that kid is FAST...unbelievably fast. If he ever does hit a QB at full speed he's putting someone in the hospital. I'm willing to give the guy a couple more years and I think he may just become a football player.

3. Special teams were much improved from the preseason although Mormon's punts seemed to be mediocre.

The BAD:

1. Troupe needs to turn into our number 1 NT and fast. I like Kyle Williams a lot but he was thrown off the line of scrimmage on multiple plays.

2. The Dolphins offensive line was getting WAY too much push.

3. Cornell Green is awful. He's not just bad, he's terribad.

4. The was very little room for the RB's and virtually no holes.

The UGLY:

During the second half a bunch of us from the TBD contingent watched the WR's downfield to see if they were open or not. Here were my observations and a something particular I noticed.

1. There is not a lot of separation between our WR's and the defenders. The one exception was when we went 4 wide, trips left with Trent in the shotgun. The fins looked to be in a soft nickle or zone and our WR's were finding some holes. That was also the drive where Roscoe scored.

2. There were times when WR's were coming open but it was also at the same time Trent was running for his life. I'm not apologizing for Edwards but the Dolphin's were pouring through the line of scrimmage. Cornell Green should probably be cut tomorrow because he is flat out AWFUL.

3. Trent does not throw WR's open. He looks as though he waits to SEE them open then he throws the ball. In the NFL you have to THROW the WR's open, this isn't high school.

Finally, someone needs to send CJ a note and tell him he's not at Clemson anymore. Half the guys on the field are almost as fast as him and running side to side is not going to get it done. I love Spiller but I almost think Jackson needs to start and get the bulk of the carries next week.

It wasn't just Green that was awful, the entire team and specifically the O line played badly

How many times did we see the RB get hit as soon as he got the ball, several of those hits came from Bell's side. How many times did we see Edwards getting harried, hurried and a defender in his face. When Edwards had time to throw it looked like the receivers were covered. The thing about Edwards is he doesn't throw a ton of interceptions, which is a good thing.

Where was the innovation in the scheme, the game plan, the play calling... I didn't see anything different then I saw last season under AVP, and the Bills started the game in the shotgun and then tried to throw most of the game much like Turd Schonert did 2 years ago.

Where were the miss direction plays, Gailey didn't impress me with anything this week

Half the guys on the field are almost as fast as him and running side to side is not going to get it done. I love Spiller but I almost think Jackson needs to start and get the bulk of the carries next week.

I disagree - in the first quarter, Spiller almost had two HUGE runs -- but was tackled by the shoe both times. If he didn't tie his shoes tightly, they would've ripped it off and he'd be off to the races.

The Good

Chris Ellis - Nice to see that we might have a player in this guy

Cory McinTyre - Two really good ST tackles

McKelvin - Superb athleticism out there today

Florence - was a gamer all day

Lindell- 51 yarder!!

David Nelson - Looks like the preseason wasn't a fluke

Whitner - Brought some much needed physicality to the team

The Bad

Eric Wood - Supposed to be a star in the making but got pushed back like a doll on many plays today

Spiller - Was not a threat at anytime today despite a dozen touches

Maybin - flew around alot but embarassed himself with his kangaroo celebration for his half tackle

The Ugly

Green - no need to talk about it

Kelsay - Looks like some white middle age fan who won a contest to play a quarter in a pre-season game

Edwards - He threw two balls that should have been pick sixes, feels pressure that does't exist or isn't there, basically needs 4-6 seconds without a sniff of a defensive player around him and acompletly open WR to make a play.