Firewalls

TSNBDSC

I use the built in mac firewall...

for windows, i use the built in windows firewall. Doesn't block outgoing connections like ZA, but then again, if you know what's installed on your computer and you're proactive about crapware, you should be ok.

I found ZA to be a resource hog and gave up on it about 8 years ago.

... have been using ZoneAlarm ... not really too happy with the latest version ... thoughts please ! ... tom

Comodo still has a great reputation as a firewall. Do NOT use their security suite. If you use the firewall, make sure you DO NOT also install the ASK or Hopsurf toolbar. Another negative with Comodo is it can be a bit noisy/busy/intrusive.

Sunbelt Firewall has a good rep w/o many of Comodo issues. But the free version is limited. Online Armor, which has recently been sold to Emisoft, makes a very good firewall. Dunno if it still has a free option but the paid version was much better, IMO.

To be honest, if you are using a good security products and practices, and a hardware firewall, the Windows Firewall may be enough protection for you w/o the problems of many software firewalls. Windows 7 and even Vista have decent firewalls built in. XP's native firewall has some issues, but I now use it, with added security in case it fails. I became tired of trying to tame Comodo.

The best advice, I suppose, is to buy Online Armor or use Comodo if you are fairly computer savvy and can deal with some configuring issues.

To be honest, if you are using a good security products and practices, and a hardware firewall, the Windows Firewall may be enough protection for you w/o the problems of many software firewalls. Windows 7 and even Vista have decent firewalls built in. XP's native firewall has some issues, but I now use it, with added security in case it fails. I became tired of trying to tame Comodo

I'm not a fan of software firewalls. Like you said, get a hardware firewall (or just a plain NAT is generally good enough). I tried some firewalls in the past (ZoneAlarm comes to mind) and it completely screwed up my TCP stack. :(