Play Calling

ChasBB

As per Chris Brown (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/13/w...nators-will-be/) ...

"We all know that head coach Chan Gailey will be on the sideline at kickoff in tonight’s preseason opener, but which coordinators will be up in the booth and which will be on the sidelines?

"Offensive coordinator Curtis Modkins will be upstairs to be Gailey’s eyes in the sky for the offense. Defensive coordinator George Edwards however, wants to be down on the sidelines.

"Gailey will be calling the plays for the offense, which he will relay to quarterbacks coach George Cortez, who will radio the play into the quarterbacks."

So, my question is why the middle man? Is it because Gailey will be focused on listening/speaking with Modkins that it would be too much to also radio plays into the QB? I can see that I guess. My concern is delay-of-game penalties. One additional layer to communicate something just delays the play-calling process and could be costly when seconds count. Any thoughts on this? Not a big concern?