Who needs to step up??

The obvious answer to this question would be Maybin but he is still young and I am not sure if he has the ability at this point to be a difference maker, but the problem that has been most notable during the last five plus year's stretch is that no one with maybe the exception of a Kyle Williams, Jackson, or Evans has played better than the spot that they were drafted. The overall treatment of the Buffalo Bills as a stop-gap to get paid and then move on to a winner when the contract runs out. This was obvious for Peters, Dockery, Walker, McGahee and some others.

What we need are players to step up and play football outside of the business. Dwan Edwards for one can make a huge impact if he plays better and the partnership-depth with Carrington can work. Same thing goes with Nelson whose blocking skills make him more of a wr than a tight end.

Gailey is running a camp the way it is supposed to be run and we are giving him credit like the second coming because they are wearing pads and they are working on fundamentals. Football is played in pads. You don't practice swimming on a track and you don't practice lacrosse without sticks. He needs to find a way to make guys like Nelson block well when he stinks at it and guys like Dwan Edwards play their buts off to make it easy on the linebackers. The Bills have talent, the issue is allowing it to come out.

The obvious answer to this question would be Maybin but he is still young and I am not sure if he has the ability at this point to be a difference maker, but the problem that has been most notable during the last five plus year's stretch is that no one with maybe the exception of a Kyle Williams, Jackson, or Evans has played better than the spot that they were drafted. The overall treatment of the Buffalo Bills as a stop-gap to get paid and then move on to a winner when the contract runs out. This was obvious for Peters, Dockery, Walker, McGahee and some others.

What we need are players to step up and play football outside of the business. Dwan Edwards for one can make a huge impact if he plays better and the partnership-depth with Carrington can work. Same thing goes with Nelson whose blocking skills make him more of a wr than a tight end.

Gailey is running a camp the way it is supposed to be run and we are giving him credit like the second coming because they are wearing pads and they are working on fundamentals. Football is played in pads. You don't practice swimming on a track and you don't practice lacrosse without sticks. He needs to find a way to make guys like Nelson block well when he stinks at it and guys like Dwan Edwards play their buts off to make it easy on the linebackers. The Bills have talent, the issue is allowing it to come out.

I have to say, most of the coaches who were known as winners, were tough guys.. They were motivated with fear, players responded.. There are a few like Marv who did get production by being easy, but he never won the big one.. Every player to a man said he loved Dick Jauron but we had 5 years of average or below.. I really hope Chan can work some magic with this club and motivation is the key... Fear Factor!!!!

I think Gailey spelled it out in his press conference after yesterday's practice. "... They have to protect". If that happens the running game will open up as well as the long and short passing games. Edwards will be at least adequate at QB. Gailey is happy with his receivers, he thinks they will continue to develop. The OL and the pass protection in general which is mostly the OL continues to be the major problem. I think if the Bills had two adequate tackles they could look at .500 ball maybe compete for a playoff spot. Without that happening the Bills are headed for a Ralph Wilson nightmare- a top 5 pick. It would be nice if Maybin becomes a good pass rusher but other guys might get it done if he falls short. The offensive pass protection is not negotiable though. This team will rise or fail on their ability to protect. Edwards seem to be getting it together but a serious pass rush will derail or worse sideline him or any other QB.

What we need are players to step up and play football...

There. That sums it up. <_<

But as far as this "business" of playing at or above where you are drafted, that crap all starts with the "pre-draft rankings", and all of the idiotic talk about teams "reaching." If the Bills would have drafted Mike Oher with the #11 pick instead of Maybin last year, would anyone still be whining about how much of a "reach" that picked would have been considered? For that matter, they could have drafted Ebon Britton, the starting RT as a rookie for the Jags all of last season, who wasn't drafted until the second round, at #11, instead of Maybin last season, and looking at the starting RT situation out at St. John Fisher today, none of us would still be considering him a reach either!!

Even young Maybin himself, if he comes in on passing downs this season and runs down 8 or 9 sacks this year, will no longer be considered a "reach" going into the 2011 season (if there is a 2011 season), another year older with some success under his belt.

It's not that Bills players need to start playing at or above where they are drafted. They just need to start playing GOOD. Chiefs coach Marv Levy and his GM in KC passed up drafting Joe Montana at QB in favor of some taller "stronger armed" QB coming out of college "rated" higher then Joe was in the '78 or '79 draft, whenever Montana came out of Notre Dame. That QB's name was Steve Fuller. Walsh "settled" on Montana in the 3rd round of the draft that year. Everyone knows about every team in the NFL passing on Tom Brady 5 times until the Pats finally snagged him on a lark to compete for Bledsoe's back up job in the 6th round in 2000. Joe Montana and Tom Brady. Any more questions about how stupid pre-draft ratings are on college players??

The draft is nothing more then a huge crap shoot. The owners need to rein in the stupid guaranteed money they are shelling out to first round picks, but despite how warpred that system became, it is still nothing more then a huge crap shoot. :D

I would say the offensive tackles. The expectations for them are low and every defense will be gunning for them. If they can perform even average it will be far better than anyone expects and they will unleash a very potent running game. If they are successful pass blocking we'll get a much better (ok ok..i know the bar is pretty low to date) passing game. I think if these two stand up we we actually (don't laugh..I'm serious) be a real contender in the AFC East.

I have to say, most of the coaches who were known as winners, were tough guys.. They were motivated with fear, players responded.. There are a few like Marv who did get production by being easy, but he never won the big one.. Every player to a man said he loved Dick Jauron but we had 5 years of average or below.. I really hope Chan can work some magic with this club and motivation is the key... Fear Factor!!!!

Hey - not to be a d!ck, but where did this phrase come from and what does it mean? 'every player to a man said...'