Lee Evans/Catching on

Guest dog14787

1) He fumbled 2 kickoffs and still has potential to be one of the best in the NFL.

2) It's preseason and a lot of people get reps at returning. Have the Bills ever used McKelvin as a PR? I don't think they have. He's a KR and it's much different catching a punt than fielding a kickoff. I won't worry about this too much.

Two things to mention.

Firstly, McKelvin scored 9 return TDs in college. Eight of them were on punt returns so he is a proven threat on punt returns.

Unfortunately there's mounting evidence that he might not be the most dependable return guy in terms of securing the ball.

Mike in his training camp reports mentioned McKelvin's ongoing shakiness in fielding punts.

Aside from special teams, in last year's training camp, others including our own esteemed Lori Chase reported that McKelvin was not looking good in coverage.

He's an elite talent physically, but he's not yet established himself as an NFL player.

It's possible McKelvin may be a better game day player than he is a practice player.

Or perhaps he's simply missing that mental component which would match his Pro Bowl physical talents.

1) He fumbled 2 kickoffs and still has potential to be one of the best in the NFL.

2) It's preseason and a lot of people get reps at returning. Have the Bills ever used McKelvin as a PR? I don't think they have. He's a KR and it's much different catching a punt than fielding a kickoff. I won't worry about this too much.

not doubting you, but whats the difference between catching a punt or a kickoff?

Practice notes by Chris Brown http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...d3-17a902809fdd

Lee Evans shows signs of catching on to Chan Gailey's new offense as the Edwards/ Evans connection was clicking big tonight with Evans pulling in two perfectly timed TD's both going for 60 + yards bringing fans in attendance to their feet.

The defense strikes back with multiple INT's by Whitner, one returned for a score the other in the end zone preventing a TD, just hours earlier in the morning session Jairus "the bird man" Byrd flies into action and records multiple INT's

CJ Spiller receives a rousing ovation ,

For you guys that are there, if Whitner is pulling in INT's, he is catching them from Capt Checkdown? If so, has the passing game remained horrible like last year?

Two things to mention.

Firstly, McKelvin scored 9 return TDs in college. Eight of them were on punt returns so he is a proven threat on punt returns.

Unfortunately there's mounting evidence that he might not be the most dependable return guy in terms of securing the ball.

Mike in his training camp reports mentioned McKelvin's ongoing shakiness in fielding punts.

Aside from special teams, in last year's training camp, others including our own esteemed Lori Chase reported that McKelvin was not looking good in coverage.

He's an elite talent physically, but he's not yet established himself as an NFL player.

It's possible McKelvin may be a better game day player than he is a practice player.

Or perhaps he's simply missing that mental component which would match his Pro Bowl physical talents.

I'm beginning to wonder if he's trying to GaryAnderson himself out of here.

He's not been shown the fawning attention that a #1 corner deserves (and rightly so based on his production).

Add to that the lawn job that the azz hats in his neighborhood did after the opening game loss last year and you have the makings of a disgruntled player who feels under appreciated and stuck on a losing team.

LOTS of HCs were slobbering all over themselves about McKelvin prior to the draft.

Jack DelRio for one said in no uncertain terms that he wants to coach him some day.

That said, I'd keep him returning Kickoffs - which take a longer time for the ball to reach the returner than Punts do.

They also have a much flatter trajectory than Punts. Returning Punts requires split second reactions which have to be instinctive. KO returns are less spontaneous and the returner has blockers to follow while looking for seams and holes in the coverage to exploit.

not doubting you, but whats the difference between catching a punt or a kickoff?

Well…who wants to take this one?

(edit: Sorry to be condescending…one of my many faults).

I'll take it...thanks!

Ok, catching a punt is what a guy does when the other team does bad...& catching a kick-off is what he does when the other team does good. How did I do?

That's a fair catch. :worthy:

haha, i mean how is catching the ball any different?

That said, I'd keep him (McKelvin) returning Kickoffs - which take a longer time for the ball to reach the returner than Punts do.

They also have a much flatter trajectory than Punts. Returning Punts requires split second reactions which have to be instinctive. KO returns are less spontaneous and the returner has blockers to follow while looking for seams and holes in the coverage to exploit.

Very skilled return, Nanker.

add: Punt returner has less time and space before the first wave of coverage than a kick returner. You sometimes see where a punt returner gets hit almost as the ball arrives. Thus the punt returner has to be more sure handed than a kick returner because his margin for error is less.

haha I've never done either, but I would venture to say trajectory & ball speed would make a kick-off harder to handle, but easier to judge, where the opposite would be true for a punt returner. Anybody have any experience in this to tell me how I'm wrong? Just guessing here, but I'm wondering if McKelvin is having trouble judging the punts???

mostly the angle of descent. punts are usually kicked higher and travel about 50 to 55 yards taking into account the punter is behind the line. kickoffs travel 65 to 70 yards and have a lower slope of descent. The kicking team is also on top of the punt returned much faster causing anxiety.