Just a question I have always wondered about

Tolstoy

So, it appears that our defense is far outperforming the offense in camp, and while that is not unusual, it might indicate that the defense is poised to make some leaps forward this year. From all reports, the secondary has been eating up the offensive passing game. That too is not a surprise, since the secondary is the strength of this team.

Here is my question: Does it help or hurt a developing offense to be playing against such a dominant secondary in practice everyday?

On the one hand, it arguably makes them stronger, since the O has to sharpen its play in the passing game.

On the other hand, I suspect it hampers them from developing any confidence and impedes their development.

Wouldn't it be better to have the O practice for a week against the second or third team--get some confidence and rhythm, and then gradually test them against a stronger and stronger defense?

As it is now, it sounds like the passing game is in shambles, which bodes ill for the regular season.

The answer is of course it both helps and hurts. It is most helpful for the individual player to practice against the best competition he can get. For the individual player it actually hurts them to perfect their techniques against lesser competition than they will face in the regular season.

On the other hand, it hurts the team in its execution to be unable to run through and perform the plays as their designed because they are so outclassed by the defenders.

It actually may be a confidence booster for the D to outclass the O, but again in the long run as the O begins to look more and more befuddled and less NFL like the benefit of the D outclassing them diminishes.

The best thing by far is escalating quality play by the O and the D so all in all a gross difference is not what one wants.

Guest dog14787
So, it appears that our defense is far outperforming the offense in camp, and while that is not unusual, it might indicate that the defense is poised to make some leaps forward this year. From all reports, the secondary has been eating up the offensive passing game. That too is not a surprise, since the secondary is the strength of this team.

Here is my question: Does it help or hurt a developing offense to be playing against such a dominant secondary in practice everyday?

On the one hand, it arguably makes them stronger, since the O has to sharpen its play in the passing game.

On the other hand, I suspect it hampers them from developing any confidence and impedes their development.

Wouldn't it be better to have the O practice for a week against the second or third team--get some confidence and rhythm, and then gradually test them against a stronger and stronger defense?

As it is now, it sounds like the passing game is in shambles, which bodes ill for the regular season.

It will only make the Bills offense better from a coaching standpoint and on the football field in my opinion. Its up to the leaders of the offense to keep the unit focused and showing steady improvement from day to day, week, to week.

No, no, no. The offense needs all the quality competition it can handle. Do you really want to put training wheels on the offense again by babying them? If they can't perform against our 'dominant' (quotes used lightly) defense then they just might not be an nfl offense. There's still time though, let's wait to see how they do in preseason games

The passing game has been in shambles for a couple of years now so this is nothing new. I don't think it's going to help #5's confidence by having him beat up on the 3rd stringers. The real problem here is that the "starting" quarterback is mush between the ears and the tin man under center.

Read a couple of his recent interviews and nothing has changed with this guy. He is the problem, plain and simple.. It's time to move on and see what the others can do. The worst that will happen is that they suck as bad as #5. The positive is that they probably show more heart and mental fortitude on the field.

I think because we dont have stars at some positions, and because camp is largely a time for teaching, our offense is going against more depth players than usual. However our defensive backfield depth is awesome.

I read that all the receivers were learning all the receiving positions, an idea I like very much. You have to run the route in the other guys shoes to know where he is going to be. My high school coach had everyone play every position. As a running back, I knew just where my offensive linemen would be, because I had run the plays in their place.