Training Camp Holdouts

Coach55

Every year we talk about the fact that several top draft picks are holding out for more money. This year it seems a little different. Tomorrow, rookies are supposed to report to training camp and as of right now Troup and Spiller still have not signed. Given the fact that only 12 of the 32 2nds and only 1 of the 32 1sts have signed, would you deem these guys holdouts?

One could say that they are, but these guys are looking for a long-term deal and are waiting to find out what they are worth. Does this mean that all of the 1sts and 2nds are holdouts? I think the system is flawed and as a result of the impending lockout next year, there has been a severe lack of signings this year. I find it hard to believe that most of these guys will be signed prior to training camps opening. I feel bad for a lot of these players, as I am sure they are itching to get to camp and are probably waiting on their agents. I am sure there will be a few "real holdouts" (a la Michael Crabtree), but for the most part I would think these guys want to play.

Question - if a player such as Spiller wants to come to camp without a contract, are they allowed to do so?