POTD - June 28

bartshan-83

Gotta catch up from the weekend so I'll grace you all with the deuce (that didn't sound right):

1. ODD MAN OUT

Seven of the words below have something strongly in common. One of them does not. What is the theme, and which word is the odd man out?

URCHIN

SHIP

WHEEL

CURFEW

SWARM

POTATOES

SURFACE

RANKLE

Think of a five-digit number and call it N. When N has a 7 placed in front of it, the number formed is 5 times as large as when N has a 7 placed after it. What number is N?

Gotta catch up from the weekend so I'll grace you all with the deuce (that didn't sound right):

1. ODD MAN OUT

Seven of the words below have something strongly in common. One of them does not. What is the theme, and which word is the odd man out?

URCHIN

SHIP

WHEEL

CURFEW

SWARM

POTATOES

SURFACE

RANKLE

Think of a five-digit number and call it N. When N has a 7 placed in front of it, the number formed is 5 times as large as when N has a 7 placed after it. What number is N?

The answer to number 2 is 14285. 142857 * 5 = 714285. I got this because it ties into the decimal manifestation of 1/7. .142857 repeating.

Number 1, I am drawing a complete blank.

Defined Mathematically:

N + 700,000 = 5 * (N*10+7)

Simple algebra:

thus N = 14285

Need more thought on #1

1. ODD MAN OUT

URCHIN

SHIP

WHEEL

CURFEW

SWARM

POTATOES

SURFACE

RANKLE

1. Body Parts - curfew does not belong

URCHIN

SHIP

WHEEL

CURFEW

SWARM

POTATOES

SURFACE

RANKLE