9 reasons why Jim McMahon is awesome

McMahon was funny.

Although it was subtle, one of his funniest jokes IMO, was when Spike Lee's movie about Malcom X was coming out and EVERYBODY in the sporting/entertainment world was wearing a baseball cap with the obiligatory "X" above the bill. That's all you saw for months. So what does McMahon do when he shows up at a press conference one day? He sports a cap with an "O" instead of the X. Pure comical genius. And NOBODY asked him about it. Which made it even funnier to me. There he is in the midst of these other players wearing their X hats and he's standing there with the O.

How can you not like a guy who doesn't take himself or football too seriously? He knew how to have fun with it.

GO BILLS!!!

I was born in Chicago in 59 and was a lifelong Bears fan with my football rooting reaching its Bears peak in 85 cheering for the most defensively dominating squad I had seen up until that point cheering for the Bears 46 D.

McMahon was a great guy to root for as well, but it really was for comic relief rather than his play as my feeling as a fan was that this Bears squad had its best chance of scoring a TD when the other team had the ball and the heavy sacking, fumble causing and INT happy D squad overwhelmed virtually all opponents that year (the one exception to Mercury Morris's glee was the squad that cost the Bills from running the table that season).

McMahon was clearly one of the toughest SOBs to ever play the game. He showed he was an OK talent at BYU in college (though clearly he was no threat to Sid Luckman's play at QB for the Bears), but his play was further limited as a pro by injury after injury. However, he played through them.

Thankfully the 85 Bears needed little O production from the McMahon led squad (Walter Payton was actually clearly the heart and soul of the O and Mike Ditka forever deserves disdain for letting Fridge Perry carry the ball in for short TD after the D gave the team the ball deep in Pats territory in the SB that year).

McMahon was a sideshow that year but boy he was a great sideshow to watch and root for.

McMahon was funny.

Although it was subtle, one of his funniest jokes IMO, was when Spike Lee's movie about Malcom X was coming out and EVERYBODY in the sporting/entertainment world was wearing a baseball cap with the obiligatory "X" above the bill. That's all you saw for months. So what does McMahon do when he shows up at a press conference one day? He sports a cap with an "O" instead of the X. Pure comical genius. And NOBODY asked him about it. Which made it even funnier to me. There he is in the midst of these other players wearing their X hats and he's standing there with the O.

How can you not like a guy who doesn't take himself or football too seriously? He knew how to have fun with it.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed that cracked me up too....I think he was with Philly when he did that.

I remember when the MNF crew, after the Dennis Miller years, was unknown. I was always a fan of MNF personalities from the late 70's and early 80's and how i wished ABC would look to take a clean slate and put something really special together. Jim McMahon was my choice for color comentator, followed by Fred Willard (Best in Show). Come on, who wouldn't get a kick out of Jim in the booth wearing loud outfits, drinking beer, goofing on the commish, and embarrassing the Play by Play guy.