Newbies thoughts

Recently a newbie came on the board and posted why they hated the draft. This made me feel compelled to join and post my thoughts. First, I liked the draft and here's why:

The Spiller pick first had me upset because we have RBs already in the fold. But NevergiveUps heads up allowed me to realize what the FO had in mind. They view Spiller as a real talent. They had a plan of several players they believe are a cut above. They obviously feel Spiller is special. Time will tell. But at least it seems like they had a plan and stuck to it. Also, it didn't feel like a fill-the-seats pick because that would have been Clausen. They went with the best player available.

The next couple of players were big men to fill a scheme and address the run stopping problem. Good to see.

The negatives. The coach. I wanted a big name coach. Not that I think they are great X and O guys but because it would have meant that Ralph would have had to abandon the self imposed cap. Buffalo would be competing on a level playing field. Chan does not have the juice to make Ralph pay. No major pickups fits this theory.

The second negative, looks like a several year rebuilding process. In this day and age it doesn't have to be. If we would have picked up McNabb, an LT, and a WR off free agency there would be a lot more excitement around here.

The positives. I liked the draft. They seem to be drafting with a look towards building a team. I like what I read of the psychological makeup of the people coming in - no primma donnas. I also agree with their take on the QBs. Of the available FAs only McNabb was worth pursuing. And the draftable QBs are no better than what's already here. I'm hoping Chan can get some excitement into the O. There's still time and a couple LTs available.

Here's to hoping Chan can really coach.

Solid post. :wallbash:

I liked the Spiller pick, and I went "Yeah!....oh, yeah we still need LT, and LB, and QB, and now there'll be fewer good players in the pool to get them...But as the draft went on, I kept saying, "Well, that makes sense...that's a solid pick...He'll be hungry...He has something to prove...etc."

Hope springs eternal, but I'm looking more forward to training camp this year than ever before. I don't think it'll be same-old same-old any more.

Welcome to the board! Nice first post. I've likely got some years on you so let me say I once was bitter when The Bills, in my mind, cheaped out when they chose a coach with a losing record and who flamed out as a HC in the NFL. His name was Marv Levy. I believe big names don't matter. It's the right person at the right time that matters.

I agree with the last post and adding to that, I think communication and understanding is the key between the FO and HC. You can tell the Bills are trying to convey this as Buddy and Chan appear in pressers and interviews together frequently. I gotta say I like what they both have to say and what their philosophy is moving forward. Both seem to be stand up guys who don't BS and tell it like it is.

I feel like this draft was the perfect combination of talent and need.

Moving to the 3/4 we needed lots of depth at the linebacker position, I feel like with that depth we picked up some versatility as well (guys with potential to be big strong players and side line to side line guys). It also is going to help out the special teams especially in KO and KR packages.

I like the decision not to take a QB high. With a likely rookie cap next year and the high probability of drafting high in the first round again, there is an opportunity to take a quality QB at a good price. Especially with Trent in the last year of his contract. If Trent does get an extension after this year it will be cheap since he has only shown about a year and half of good play at that point (this is assuming he starts, is healthy, and performs well this year - i know i will get some flack for that statement).

We all know about Spiller and he has been discussed a lot on the board, I think we all have high hopes for him. I will say that I'm sure he will be the main returner as well and that takes the load, wear and tear, and risk of injury off valuable guys like Jackson, and especiialy McGee and McKelvin who both missed time due to injury last season.

On a final note, it seems that this draft class is a group of well rounded hard working guys. A few more drafts like this and the culture at OBD will really start to turn around, and hopefully so will the W column.