Sliver Lining

I’ve decided to try and focus on the positives about the Bills situation, so I enjoy next season and beyond, and figured I’d share this mojo with my fellow Bills fans.

There are two possible outcomes, one bad and one good, with all the changes. Before I get to the positives, let me first state the potential negatives:

Buffalo has not had an effective team strategy or draft for years. Many of the bumbling key decision makers are still in place (Modrak, Wilson, Brandon).

Our offensive line is potentially among the worst in the league and actually may be weaker than last year (no Butler, hurt Woods)

Our QB situation is among the worst in league.

We have only one proven pass catcher among our WRs and TEs

We can’t stop the run, AT ALL.

OK, that was easy, and anyone can recite those issues and more.

Now, the positive side of things:

Buffalo has too many holes to fix quickly. The team is likely to finish in the cellar of a very competitive AFC East. However, this new management team is making some good moves. They are focusing on building a competitive defense first. The secondary of the Bills has the potential to be great.

Buffalo has taken steps to improve one of the worst run defenses in the league, shuffling to a 3-4 alignment and adding key pieces through free agency and the draft, including a NT. We HAVE to be better on defense now

Buffalo’s line backing corps got some nice upgrades with adding Davis and moving Maybin to OLB.

Buffalo may be looking to add a franchise QB next year. It is hard to discount how much less guaranteed money will need to be paid to a top draft choice if a rookie wage scale is put in place.

While the Bills are rather weak in the line and passing game, they have a stable of big young lineman and 3 good backs. Buffalo looks to be implementing a strong power rushing game, with potential big plays coming from quick hits to CJ Spiller or Play action to Lee Evans.

I’ve decided to try and focus on the positives about the Bills situation, so I enjoy next season and beyond, and figured I’d share this mojo with my fellow Bills fans.

There are two possible outcomes, one bad and one good, with all the changes. Before I get to the positives, let me first state the potential negatives:

Buffalo has not had an effective team strategy or draft for years. Many of the bumbling key decision makers are still in place (Modrak, Wilson, Brandon).

Our offensive line is potentially among the worst in the league and actually may be weaker than last year (no Butler, hurt Woods)

Our QB situation is among the worst in league.

We have only one proven pass catcher among our WRs and TEs

We can’t stop the run, AT ALL.

OK, that was easy, and anyone can recite those issues and more.

Now, the positive side of things:

Buffalo has too many holes to fix quickly. The team is likely to finish in the cellar of a very competitive AFC East. However, this new management team is making some good moves. They are focusing on building a competitive defense first. The secondary of the Bills has the potential to be great.

Buffalo has taken steps to improve one of the worst run defenses in the league, shuffling to a 3-4 alignment and adding key pieces through free agency and the draft, including a NT. We HAVE to be better on defense now

Buffalo’s line backing corps got some nice upgrades with adding Davis and moving Maybin to OLB.

Buffalo may be looking to add a franchise QB next year. It is hard to discount how much less guaranteed money will need to be paid to a top draft choice if a rookie wage scale is put in place.

While the Bills are rather weak in the line and passing game, they have a stable of big young lineman and 3 good backs. Buffalo looks to be implementing a strong power rushing game, with potential big plays coming from quick hits to CJ Spiller or Play action to Lee Evans.

I think the fact that the Bills didn't reach for a QB says a lot about the direction and the area of concern they plan to fix first. Defense was our weakest link among many weak links. Couple that with the looming CBA getting reworked and the need to go after a QB high in the draft doesn't make a lot of sense, unless the Bills were picking 1st overall.

There are a lot of positives to take out of the draft and free agency. It definitely shows that the new regime has their ducks in a row.

Sure the team might not make the playoffs next year, but I would bet that they are going to be much better across the board and much more exciting to watch. This team has stunk out loud for the last few years, well 10, but really pathetic the last few, and they might be finally turning the corner on something positive here.