Marv's plan circa 1987

JPS

I remember everyone clamoring for offensive draft picks to help Jim Kelly out and Marv said something like "If you want to help Jim Kelly, build the defense". Since it seemed to work in the late 80s, it's ringing in my head now.

Does that apply now? Or no because we don't have our Jim Kelly....

I remember everyone clamoring for offensive draft picks to help Jim Kelly out and Marv said something like "If you want to help Jim Kelly, build the defense". Since it seemed to work in the late 80s, it's ringing in my head now.

Does that apply now? Or no because we don't have our Jim Kelly....

Defenses win championships has always been the mantra.

You're supposed to build around your strength. If you have a franchise QB, and a terrible Defense, then you build around your QB. If you have good defensive backs (like us), then you build around them, and complete your defense with a good front 7. Help your DB's out.

This is the mantra that Bill Polian seems to follow... at least with the colts. I read an article somewhere that said he basically built the colts around Peyton Manning. Even when the colts D was absolutely terrible, he just kept on spending high draft picks on WR's, and weapons for his QB. Seemed the work.

No disrespect meant, but Marv Levy is the last person I would ask about building a championship team.

I understand. He did do right by us as a young man (60s). I don't blame him for taking the GM job in his 80s nearly as much as I blame Ralph for giving it to him.

What if the Bills drafted a DT and DE in the top 3 rounds. Say a Dan Williams and a Alex Carrington. Throw a Rodger Saffold in between him. I'm just trying to think about the whatifs in the draft.

I understand. He did do right by us as a young man (60s). I don't blame him for taking the GM job in his 80s nearly as much as I blame Ralph for giving it to him.

What if the Bills drafted a DT and DE in the top 3 rounds. Say a Dan Williams and a Alex Carrington. Throw a Rodger Saffold in between him. I'm just trying to think about the whatifs in the draft.

Personally I give Polian credit for building the team that 'young' Marv coached. He (Marv) gets credit for keeping them together, but always falling just a wee bit short.