Positional Needs

Astrobot

I must submit my positional needs changes by 9pmEST this evening to DraftTek.

You can see the current Positional Needs, and every team's, right here.

Any other Positional Needs Changes? I have

OT remains P1 (minimum 2),

QB, DT3-4, ILB remain P2,

DE3-4 and OLB3-4 remain P3,

WRF raising to P3 and raising WRP to P4 ,

OG lowering to P5,

TE lowering to P5,

OC lowering to P5,

I can put a grab on any player in any round for us as well.

Astro

We need two OT, QB, two NT, probably two DE and at least two OLB, along with another WR and backup help at LB, at the least.

I think we need to find a way to get a starting LT, QB, and NT in our first three picks - because I just don't see starting material after early third round for any of those three positions. It's guys like Cody, Lefevour, who could probably start but won't make it into the third, that make me think we should trade something to have an extra pick in the second, get those three positions taken care of, and then I think we can find quality LB and WR later in the draft, along with RT and D-line reserves in the later rounds.

OG lowering to P5,

TE lowering to P5,

OC lowering to P5,

Astro

Just curious what the point of this is?

It's not going to make a damn bit of a difference who you "grab" for us...I am worried about who Buddy and Chan will "grab" for us!?

But honestly...what is the point in this? Who are you? Are you a bunch of friends who do this for fun?

Is anyone sure we need two NT's in this draft? I can see two OLB's maybe.

I'll send these in at 9EST. Thank you for your comments. Anyone else?

no we dont need 2 Nt, at least not 2 high, or 2 OLB, we need, 1 NT, 1 OLB, 1 ILB, 1 QB, slot WR 1 DT(DE 3-4)

OG lowering to P5,

TE lowering to P5,

OC lowering to P5,

Astro

Priority one is QB. Until that is addressed, the team will suck

Kinda sad when I really can't think of what we need the most. We have so many holes it will be hard to not make a good pick at 9.

Best draft scenario would be to trade down a handful of spots (3 or 4 at most), pick up 1 to 2 more picks, and pick the best player available at a position like OL, DL, QB, or LB...

I'm OK with taking Bradford in RD1, but not Clausen. We did some research and Clausen could experience a Leinart-like fall in April. Here's what Longball (in charge of our Big Board) says:

I believe that Jimmy Clausen is overrated but until this morning, I could not put my finger on why. I was watching NFL Network’s “Pre-Combine Analysis” and they posted the won/loss records of Mayock’s top-rate quarterbacks:

Sam Bradford 24-7

Jimmy Clausen 16-18

Colt McCoy 45-8

Tim Tebow 35-6

Dan LeFevour 36-15

Tony Pike 15-3

The only quarterback out of that group with a losing record is Jimmy Clausen! So I decided to dig a little deeper into the numbers and see why. Notre Dame had a 3-9 record in 2007, 7-6 record in 2008 and 6-6 record in 2009: Clausen became the full-time starter during the 2007 season. Since everyone is touting his 2009 passing statistics, I analyzed that .500 season.

In 2009, Notre Dame defeated the following opponents – their respective won/loss records and notes about their seasons are included:

Nevada (8-5) Lost to SMU 45-10

Michigan State (6-7) Lost to Central Michigan

Purdue (5-7) Lost to Northern Illinois

Washington (5-7)

Boston College (8-5)

Washington State (1-11)

The combined won/loss record of the teams Notre Dame defeated was 33-42, a winning percentage of 44%.

The teams that Notre Dame lost to are as follows:

Michigan (5-7) Wins – W. Michigan, E. Michigan, Delaware State

USC (9-4)

Navy (10-4) Lost to Temple, Hawaii – Beat Rice, W. Kentucky, Delaware, Army

Pittsburgh (10-3) Wins – Youngstown State, Buffalo, Navy

Connecticut (8-5) Wins – Ohio, Rhode Island

Stanford (8-5)

The combined won/loss record of these teams was 50-38, a winning percentage of 57%.

What other factors should be considered? Surrounding talent perhaps – OK, let’s look at the supporting cast each quarterback had at his disposal. I looked at the number of NFL prospects that each school had in the Top 200 of this year’s Big Board (including the quarterback):

Bradford Oklahoma 6 prospects

Clausen Notre Dame 5 prospects

McCoy Texas 7 prospects

Tebow Florida 9 prospects

LeFevour Central Michigan 2 prospects

Pike Cincinnati 2 prospects

Florida has an edge, but there are questions about Tebow’s ability to play quarterback at the next level anyway.

What about coaching? Well, isn’t Charlie Weis considered an offensive guru, an instructor extraordinaire of NFL quarterbacks? Shouldn’t his tutelage for the past 3-4 years have some impact?

Jimmy Clausen is not a winner, plain and simple – and I’m afraid it has as much to do with the 6 inches between his ears as anything else. I certainly would not invest a first round draft choice on him. So tell me folks, am I just being too hard on the boy?

So if we take Bradford, is there a way of getting what we need? This draft scenario says yes:

RD1 - Bradford QB

RD2 - Selvish Capers OT

RD3 - Eric Norwood ILB

RD4 - Torrell Troup DT34 Central Florida

RD5 - Arthur Jones DE34 Syracuse ---- Local product

RD6 - O'Brien Schofield OLB34 Wisconsin ---- Take injured Schofield, who Saffold said he was the best he faced

RD6 - Lindsey Witten OLB34 Connecticut

RD7 - Marcus Easley WRF Connecticut

RD7 - Chris Marinelli OT Stanford

I'm OK with taking Bradford in RD1, but not Clausen. We did some research and Clausen could experience a Leinart-like fall in April. Here's what Longball (in charge of our Big Board) says:

So if we take Bradford, is there a way of getting what we need? This draft scenario says yes:

RD1 - Bradford QB

RD2 - Selvish Capers OT

RD3 - Eric Norwood ILB

RD4 - Torrell Troup DT34 Central Florida

RD5 - Arthur Jones DE34 Syracuse ---- Local product

RD6 - O'Brien Schofield OLB34 Wisconsin ---- Take injured Schofield, who Saffold said he was the best he faced

RD6 - Lindsey Witten OLB34 Connecticut

RD7 - Marcus Easley WRF Connecticut

RD7 - Chris Marinelli OT Stanford

You should check the score of all the games this year, If you did you would see that clausen is the main reason the were even able to win at all this year, THE DEFENSE WAS TERRIBLE

NEVADA W 35-0

Michigan L 38-34

Michigan State W 33-30

at Purdue W 24-21

Washington W 37-30

USC L 34-27

Boston College W 20-16

Washington State W 40-14

Navy L 23-21

at No. 12 Pittsburgh L 27-22

Connecticut L 33-30

at Stanford L 45-38

defense allowed 308 points, clausen and his 28tds/4ints 3722yds and 68% comp% couldn't do much more to help his team win. BTW all 6 or the losses this yr were by 7 points or less. So despite a terrible defense, he never let his team lose by more than 7 this yr.

Clausen is also the only QB that played on a crap team, the other QBs come from loaded teams that run the spread, Clausens stats are pro style stats.

A clarification: Longball's research on Clausen isn't going to drop him to Round 2, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's there at Philly's pick at #24. A couple of players named Lynch and Whitner might help grease the skids to deal us the pick.

RD1-Davis LT (or Bulaga, I'm not fussy)

RD1-Clausen QB

RD2-Spikes ILB

RD3-Thomas NT

RD4-Tate RB

RD5-Arthur Jones DE34 Syracuse

RD6-O'Brien Schofield OLB34 Wisconsin

RD6-Linval Joseph DE34 ECU

RD7-Chris Marinelli RT Stanford

RD7-Danny Batten OLB34 South Dakota State