The 5-2

I read that long-a$$ article on the 5-2 defense earlier today, and how it relates to the 3-4 and 4-3... most of it in one beer and out the other. Of course, I've been preaching for Kyle Orton, a bona-fide (Ray Lewisesque) Killer on Defense, and something new (or at least not copy-cat) as a defensive scheme.

Good.

So, might anyone out there know whether this 5-2 Defense is still a relative option?

My fondest defensive memories involve the numbers 3 and 4, but last we implemtented it (the 3-4), the 4-3 was most common. Now the 3-4 is en vogue, just as the Tampon-2 was (when we jumped on board). Personally, I think it's already too late to be 34 and that the trend will be shifting someplace else. Would this 5-2 be innovative? Could it be the confusion Defense I've been dreaming about? Can we start hurting some people instead of being hurt? Can we become a leader again? Is there anything wrong with a 5 and a 2... like 5 beers and 2 shots... Like 5 bottles of wine and 2 broads... like 5:00 on a Friday and 2 days off...

I like 5-2.

I read that long-a$$ article on the 5-2 defense earlier today, and how it relates to the 3-4 and 4-3... most of it in one beer and out the other. Of course, I've been preaching for Kyle Orton, a bona-fide (Ray Lewisesque) Killer on Defense, and something new (or at least not copy-cat) as a defensive scheme.

Good.

So, might anyone out there know whether this 5-2 Defense is still a relative option?

My fondest defensive memories involve the numbers 3 and 4, but last we implemtented it (the 3-4), the 4-3 was most common. Now the 3-4 is en vogue, just as the Tampon-2 was (when we jumped on board). Personally, I think it's already too late to be 34 and that the trend will be shifting someplace else. Would this 5-2 be innovative? Could it be the confusion Defense I've been dreaming about? Can we start hurting some people instead of being hurt? Can we become a leader again? Is there anything wrong with a 5 and a 2... like 5 beers and 2 shots... Like 5 bottles of wine and 2 broads... like 5:00 on a Friday and 2 days off...

I like 5-2.

You lost me at "I read..."

the 5-2 is used mostly in Jr High, Highschool and some Colleges. The upside is it is usually all gap control. You take care of your gap no matter what. The problem is, if someone breaks the LOS (a RB that is) and its off to the races.

Sounds a LOT like our current defense... opposing RB breaking thru and off to the races.

the 5-2 is used mostly in Jr High, Highschool and some Colleges. The upside is it is usually all gap control. You take care of your gap no matter what. The problem is, if someone breaks the LOS (a RB that is) and its off to the races.

and weak vs the pass I'd assume.

I've wondered about teh 4-2-5 tho, esp since the bills are strong at safety.

That's the defense Buffalo played last season, when they inserted Scott at LB.. I'll pass.

true, that is essentially it i guess. personel-wise anyway.

That is the nickel :doh:

2 strong safeties vs the extra CB tho. think they did have Whitner in as NB a few times.

I'd say the big weakness would be vs the run, which sounds like the '09 Bills...

and weak vs the pass I'd assume.

I've wondered about teh 4-2-5 tho, esp since the bills are strong at safety.

Yeah there is a reason you dont' see a lot of it. You will see it in college a lot against option teams because it makes it hell to get to the boundry for an offense.

You normally have a 1 technique, a 'Shade' and a 3 Technique in the middle with two stand up guys that can be 'tweeners' (DE or LB) on the outsides. These guys are the 'Core' of your Defense and are refered to as 'TNT' (tackle, nose, Tackle). For blitzes from those guys you call 'NUT' (Nose over tackle) or 'TUN' (Tackle over Nose).

The only true LB's are Sam and Mike in the middle.

The LB's read and react. The saying is 'Flow away I got A' 'Flow to me I got B' A and B refreing to the A or B gaps. The two standup guys got C gaps and anything else further outside.

It is very common to play a cover 3 Shell with the SS being a 'floater' so he can further solidify the run defense. His responsibilty is to read the TE and react accordingly.

true, that is essentially it i guess. personel-wise anyway.

2 strong safeties vs the extra CB tho. think they did have Whitner in as NB a few times.

I'd say the big weakness would be vs the run, which sounds like the '09 Bills...

Overall it is a run defense. The only issue is if the LB's are stupid and don't follow assignment they can get caught up 'In the wash' and then its pretty much the RB vs Safetys which = at least a 7+ yard run. Now if TNT does their job and the LB's can shoot their gap and wrap up, it is a real B word to run against.

Good.

I like 5-2.

Good post - you're my new favorite poster. I've been saying we need to start hurting the other team for years.

Yeah there is a reason you dont' see a lot of it. You will see it in college a lot against option teams because it makes it hell to get to the boundry for an offense.

You normally have a 1 technique, a 'Shade' and a 3 Technique in the middle with two stand up guys that can be 'tweeners' (DE or LB) on the outsides. These guys are the 'Core' of your Defense and are refered to as 'TNT' (tackle, nose, Tackle). For blitzes from those guys you call 'NUT' (Nose over tackle) or 'TUN' (Tackle over Nose).

The only true LB's are Sam and Mike in the middle.

The LB's read and react. The saying is 'Flow away I got A' 'Flow to me I got B' A and B refreing to the A or B gaps. The two standup guys got C gaps and anything else further outside.

It is very common to play a cover 3 Shell with the SS being a 'floater' so he can further solidify the run defense. His responsibilty is to read the TE and react accordingly.

That's a great explanation Darth (sorry about that earlier post today). You coached and/or played?

When I first read about the 3-4 after I heard we switched, it sounded a lot like a 5-2. They play the three linemen 4-0-4 and the two OLBs flank them on either side. Obviously defenses don't line up like this all the time, but it seems like a good way to disguise blitzes. Does the 3-4 basically have the same principles as the 5-2 two your talking about?

Good.

I like 5-2.

as a base form it doesn't work in the NFL because it would require a lineman to go into coverage on a tight end at times. Some teams still go to 5 down linemen and 2 lbs depending on offensive scheme, etc. it's not uncommon to see this in a dual receiver I formation or dual TE, single back and 2 wrs. But as a base scheme it's not very effective do to coverage liabilities with DEs on TEs and RBs in the flat.

I would like to see 5 down linemen used once in awhile, especially in 3rd down situations, just to see if a guy like stroud could maul over a 1 on 1 guard and pressure the qb into some mistakes.

Good.

I like 5-2.

The 3-4 is the 5-2. The LBs just line up on the LOS and are called "ends" even though they arent nessecarily in a 3 point stance. In fact Ive never seen all 5 "lineman" with their hands down.