Vikings not all that impressed with McKinnie

From KFFL.com:

Vikings | McKinnie Struggling on the Road - from www.KFFL.com

Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:07:10 -0800

Vikings.com reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Tice said he would like to see OT Bryant McKinnie improve his play on the road after struggling the last several weeks. "I would say he doesn't play as well on the road, and I would say that he has improved this season," Tice said. "I don't think he's the player yet that we think he can be. I think that's about as fair an assessment as I can make."

Looks like both he and Williams were overhyped. Hopefully at least there's still a chance for Williams.

For Bills fans this is interesting because it shows how folks became so dead set against MW because he was so unprofessional going into the doldrums this summer or because they so much wanted to indict TD's drafting that some on this board were proclaiming McKinnie an obviously better choice.

The Vikes don't seem to be joining them in declaring TD having passed on a great player. Neither MW or McKinnie is done yet. If you ant to fault TD for something related to this pick it is not that TD is a bad drafter it is that he hired a not-ready-for-primetime HC who had his buddy Vinky and Ruel do nothing for MW developing and learning the game.

Given the improvement in MW's play which one can see from the depths where he was this summer when JMac came on board to his recent gameball winning play at RT in several sackless games by the OL, it merely pisses me off to think where he might be if he had competent guidance right from the start.

i was never on the "we should have drafted mckinnie" train. i never understood that, considering the guy held out for 7 games and has always had worse line stats than big Mike.

Remember, guys. Big Mike was brought into this league with GW's buddies, who had never coached in teh NFL. We're now beginning to see what Mike can do under mcnally.

We haven't seen his potential yet. He's playing really, really well for us.