Easterbrook on Nix/Slim Pickens

i don't think he needed to qualify anything...he was simply referring to media reports that no one was interested in the job...i am going to have to take him at his word as i don't know differently...and neither does anyone else outside of the organization...if you want to call it 'drinking the kool-aid' that's fine, i am thirsty and want another drink...

That's fine, and I respect your opinion. I just happen to disagree. "15 calls a day" didn't defuse media reports about anything because it was a meaningless number tossed out without explanation. It just seemed like amateur hour hokum. Especially when it was uttering in the same breath as a slam on the Raiders and his own organization. Additionally, there were other media reports that there were some higher profile coaches interested in the job (some confirmed and some waffling) that were never interviewed, "a thorough search was conducted" notwithstanding. For an organization with a severe image problem, trying to piss reporters off, rather than present verifiable evidence, seems rather short-sighted and, well, dumb.

Edit: For an example, I could say that the company had multiple hundreds of emails a day about a job opening. What would that tell you if I didn't say that 50-75% of the email was pure spam, 10-25% was headhunters and agencies, 10-25% was people not qualified to tie their shoes, etc.? Nothing. On the other hand, I could focus the discussion constructively and say that I am committed to turning the organization around and to do so I have to hire the best and most qualified people I can find. I've interviewed various candidates with backgrounds in X, Y, and Z. The best candidate, for reasons A, B, and C is <insert name>.