Jim Peters

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/931950.html

I had the pleasure of knowing Mr. Peters as a kid. Yeah, I'm 51 now, but I'm still going to call him "Mr. Peters" out of respect, just as I would if he were standing right here next to me now. He and his family lived in the house behind ours .. we shared a fence along our back yards. He'd stand at the fence with my Dad , and as I grew up with me, and talk about the three Buffalo sports teams with an insight and familiarity you could only get covering them for the local morning (at the time) paper.

-

I was his paper boy, and for my Christmas tip he'd give me "floor" seats to Braves games... so close you could hear the visiting coaches swearing at their players. I don't know if anyone here remembers the "whites" ... the seats at the Braves games that they would bolt to the floor behind the Braves and visitors' bench? They were mostly press and league seats. Loved it ... you can't imagine what it was like to be that young and that close. I was there the night Jack Ramsey called time out, ran onto the court, and literally pulled (by his jersey) Ernie D out of the Knicks game. (Ernie had started the game by taking 35+ foot 'bombs away' shots on the first three Braves possessions, missing all three. Ramsey turned a shade of red I've never seen a human face reach before or since.) That was also the night I met Van Miller for the first time.

-

My memory of Mr. Peters was that he was never too busy to stop and talk Buffalo sports with anyone. As the years passed and I grew up, I came to realize that he was a gifted writer as well. He was a very nice person. He not only realized how lucky he was to do what he did for a living, but he seemed eager to share that joy with anyone who wanted to "stop by the fence" and talk about it.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/931950.html

I had the pleasure of knowing Mr. Peters as a kid. Yeah, I'm 51 now, but I'm still going to call him "Mr. Peters" out of respect, just as I would if he were standing right here next to me now. He and his family lived in the house behind ours .. we shared a fence along our back yards. He'd stand at the fence with my Dad , and as I grew up with me, and talk about the three Buffalo sports teams with an insight and familiarity you could only get covering them for the local morning (at the time) paper.

-

I was his paper boy, and for my Christmas tip he'd give me "floor" seats to Braves games... so close you could hear the visiting coaches swearing at their players. I don't know if anyone here remembers the "whites" ... the seats at the Braves games that they would bolt to the floor behind the Braves and visitors' bench? They were mostly press and league seats. Loved it ... you can't imagine what it was like to be that young and that close. I was there the night Jack Ramsey called time out, ran onto the court, and literally pulled (by his jersey) Ernie D out of the Knicks game. (Ernie had started the game by taking 35+ foot 'bombs away' shots on the first three Braves possessions, missing all three. Ramsey turned a shade of red I've never seen a human face reach before or since.) That was also the night I met Van Miller for the first time.

-

My memory of Mr. Peters was that he was never too busy to stop and talk Buffalo sports with anyone. As the years passed and I grew up, I came to realize that he was a gifted writer as well. He was a very nice person. He not only realized how lucky he was to do what he did for a living, but he seemed eager to share that joy with anyone who wanted to "stop by the fence" and talk about it.

It would be very intriguing to know what he thought about the state of affairs of the Bills and its precarious status as a franchise. The old guard reporters known for their writing are dropping out and being replaced by personalities who work harder at promoting themselves more than their work product. The newspaper business is under a lot of stress. The economics of the business makes it very difficult to survive.

Thanks for sharing your memories with us, PIA.

For those of us who weren't fortunate enough to know Mr. Peters, The Buffalo News put together a neat little video last fall with him, Larry Felser, and Milt Northrup reminiscing about their days covering the Bills:

http://video.buffalonews.com/player/?id=29...Buffalo%20Bills

R.I.P., Jim.

Thanks for sharing your memories with us, PIA.

For those of us who weren't fortunate enough to know Mr. Peters, The Buffalo News put together a neat little video last fall with him, Larry Felser, and Milt Northrup reminiscing about their days covering the Bills:

http://video.buffalonews.com/player/?id=29...Buffalo%20Bills

R.I.P., Jim.

Thanks to you Lori, for sharing that!

Go Bills