Ask Tim Graham: Part III

TimGraham

Mike Reiss is a good friend of mine and is one of the finest journalists in the country.

Those sites are huge moneymakers. Not counting ESPNNewYork because it's too new, but every other ESPN regional site has the highest traffic of any sports site in that market. In other words, ESPNChicago outdraws the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times, Comcast SportsNet, etc. ESPNBoston outdraws the Boston Globe and Boston Herald. ESPNDallas outdraws the Dallas Morning News. If ESPN started an ESPNBuffalo, it would throttle the Buffalo News and WGR combined.

As I'm sure you know, ESPN.com has unlimited bandwidth. If you don't like what's on the main page, I'd suggest investing four more seconds and making another click or two to find other NFL stories in a number of different places such as the Blogs index or the Draft page or the Rumors page or the Teams page or the Videos page or the columnists index.

Then tell him politely. LOL

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is that a 'no' then on the Mike Reiss/STFU question?

Maybe Mike Reiss is a 'fine' journalist. Maybe he just got stuck with a ****ty job. Or maybe it's considered a dream job for some since all he has to do is report on what the Patriots do, allowing him to tweet about an uninspiring signing and golf the rest of the day away. The weather in Massachusetts is nice this time of year, I should know.

But I know I'm not the only one sick of the front page flooded with his crap. Look under the "FOLLOW THE NFL ON TWITTER" section sometime. I'll give you a quick rundown of an average day:

@MikeReiss: Patriots sign kicker off the street. Belichick likes his work ethic.

@MikeReiss: Welker unable to practice but reads playbook during physical therapy.

@espncowboysblog: Dez Bryant's mother wasn't a prostitute. Who knew?

@wingoz: <says something stupid, without fail> can't believe how much hot sauce they put on my hot dog!

@NFLRumorCentral: <insert completely baseless rumor here> Favre to sign with Atlanta? It's possible.

@Adam_Shefter: <insert real, but effectively irrelevant signing here> OG Roberto Garza to sign 1-year deal for league minimum with Cleveland

@MikeReiss: Hoyer goes 15 for 20 in Brady's absence in mini-camp. Belichick looked impressed.

@espncowboysblog: Jerry Jones apologizes to Bill Parcells...again.

@NFLRumorCentral: T.O. to sign with St. Louis? It's possible.

@MikeReiss: Moss says injury is all healed up and ready to go.

@wingoz: I haven't worn a dress since high school!

@espncowboysblog: Herm Edwards likes Dez Bryant.

@MikeReiss: Patriots added more practice squad fodder. Stay tuned.

@Adam_Shefter: WR David Tyree signs 1-year incentive-laden deal with Kansas City.

@NFLRumorCentral: Jerry Rice to sign with Green Bay? It's possible.

See where I'm going with this? ESPN has taken a stupid idea in Twitter and brought the stupidity into their sports world to compound the problem. But I wouldn't expect you to bash your employer. I guess the rest of us will just have to wait and hope that someday we'll see an ESPNMiami or an ESPNBuffalo or an ESPNBaltimore or an ESPNCincinatti or an ESPNCleveland or an ESPNPittsburgh or an ESPNHouston or an ESPNIndianapolis or an ESPNJacksonville or an ESPNNashville or an ESPNDenver or an ESPNKansasCity or an ESPNOakland or an ESPNSanDiego or an ESPNPhiladelphia or an ESPNWashington or an ESPNDetroit or an ESPNGreenBay or an ESPNMinneapolis or an ESPNAtlanta or an ESPNRaleigh or an ESPNNewOrleans or an ESPNTampaBay or an ESPNPhoenix or an ESPNSanFrancisco or an ESPNSt.Louis or an ESPNSeattle.

Preach on brother

Maybe Mike Reiss is a 'fine' journalist. Maybe he just got stuck with a ****ty job. Or maybe it's considered a dream job for some since all he has to do is report on what the Patriots do, allowing him to tweet about an uninspiring signing and golf the rest of the day away. The weather in Massachusetts is nice this time of year, I should know.

But I know I'm not the only one sick of the front page flooded with his crap. Look under the "FOLLOW THE NFL ON TWITTER" section sometime. I'll give you a quick rundown of an average day:

@MikeReiss: Patriots sign kicker off the street. Belichick likes his work ethic.

@MikeReiss: Welker unable to practice but reads playbook during physical therapy.

@wingoz: <says something stupid, without fail> can't believe how much hot sauce they put on my hot dog!

@NFLRumorCentral: <insert completely baseless rumor here> Favre to sign with Atlanta? It's possible.

@Adam_Shefter: <insert real, but effectively irrelevant signing here> OG Roberto Garza to sign 1-year deal for league minimum with Cleveland

@MikeReiss: Hoyer goes 15 for 20 in Brady's absence in mini-camp. Belichick looked impressed.

@Adam_Shefter: WR David Tyree signs 1-year incentive-laden deal with Kansas City.

See where I'm going with this? ESPN has taken a stupid idea in Twitter and brought the stupidity into their sports world to compound the problem. But I wouldn't expect you to bash your employer. I guess the rest of us will just have to wait and hope that someday we'll see an ESPNMiami or an ESPNBuffalo or an ESPNBaltimore or an ESPNCincinatti or an ESPNCleveland or an ESPNPittsburgh or an ESPNHouston or an ESPNIndianapolis or an ESPNJacksonville or an ESPNNashville or an ESPNDenver or an ESPNKansasCity or an ESPNOakland or an ESPNSanDiego or an ESPNPhiladelphia or an ESPNWashington or an ESPNDetroit or an ESPNGreenBay or an ESPNMinneapolis or an ESPNAtlanta or an ESPNRaleigh or an ESPNNewOrleans or an ESPNTampaBay or an ESPNPhoenix or an ESPNSanFrancisco or an ESPNSt.Louis or an ESPNSeattle.

How is the page "flooded with this crap"?

ESPN.com's "Follow the NFL on Twitter" function is in a small window, shows three tweets at a time and you need to hit "page down" twice to get to it.

It looks to me like you're going out of your way to find a reason to get upset.

As for me, I refuse to go out of my way for aggravation. That's why this will be my last post here. If you want to take shots at my employer, my friends, my coworkers and my profession, feel free to carry on and tell them to"STFU" (classy) without my involvement.

Thanks for including me on Two Bills Drive for as long as you did.

Flooded on the main page? I never seen this on the main page before, So i went to espn.com and it isn't on there at all. If you click into the NFL part of ESPN, there is a small box in about halfway down all the way to left side that is like the "twitter box." It takes up next to no space and .... it's twitter! it isn't meant to be journalism. It is meant for marketing and public relations. It is meant, in this case, that tv personalities can market their articles to their fans when new material arises and to have more contact with their fans. It was never meant to win a pultzer prize or to impress people. It is for marketing and PR only.

I mean, seriously. You are annoyed about a little box on Espn's nfl page? There are ads bigger than this little box!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/

I mean, go ahead and look at it. That little box is what is bothering you? That little box on the far left half way down is "flooding the main page" to you? good lord.

How is the page "flooded with this crap"?

ESPN.com's "Follow the NFL on Twitter" function is in a small window, shows three tweets at a time and you need to hit "page down" twice to get to it.

It looks to me like you're going out of your way to find a reason to get upset.

As for me, I refuse to go out of my way for aggravation. That's why this will be my last post here. If you want to take shots at my employer, my friends, my coworkers and my profession, feel free to carry on and tell them to"STFU" (classy) without my involvement.

Thanks for including me on Two Bills Drive for as long as you did.

Congrats, folks. You finally did it. Thanks for lasting as long as you did, Tim.

And with that, I think we're done here.

Add: the next question is whether or not I am. I'll get back to you on that one.

2nd Add: For those of you who care to, you can catch up with me on Twitter or Facebook, or drop an e-mail to portsports (at) verizon.net.

Cheers.

Edited by Lori