Yankees offer Pedro four years /50 mil.

millbank

Wherever he goes Randy's going to cash in.

I want Jon Leiber to be resigned. But the Yanks do need to start thinking about getting younger at the Pitchers position.

126802[/snapback]

Have to wonder about Leiber, they were saying that he was coming along so well and he figured to be stronger annd better next season, then they decided to not pick up his option , them saying they wanted him but for less money, got to believe he can get a good deal somewhere else, thing is Yankees have been very smart about knowing when to let pitchers go. I also was hoping they signed and kept him.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to wonder about Leiber, they were saying that he was coming along so well and he figured to be stronger annd better next season, then they decided to not pick up his option , them saying they wanted him  but for less money, got to believe he can get a good deal somewhere else, thing is Yankees have been very smart about knowing when to let pitchers go.  I also was hoping they signed and kept him.

126835[/snapback]

They are trying to resign him. The option was a one year eight million dollar deal. The yanks want to do a two year ten/ twelve million range. They'll get it done .

They are trying to resign him. The option was a one year eight million dollar deal. The yanks want  to do a two year ten/ twelve million range. They'll get it done .

126837[/snapback]

I heard that as well, the Yankees are gambling he will not get a better offer elsewhere, that is what is interesting, with pitching is such a commodity it will be surprising if he does not get better offer.

Kind of interesting also Charlie Steiner is going to leave and announce Dodger games next season and Susan Waldman is thought to be taking his place to work with Sterling.

I heard that as well, the Yankees are gambling he will not get a better offer elsewhere, that is what is interesting, with  pitching is such a commodity it will be surprising if he does not get better offer. 

Kind of interesting also Charlie Steiner is going to leave and announce Dodger games next season and Susan Waldman is thought to be taking his place to work with Sterling.

126840[/snapback]

I like Susyn's clubhouse reporting. I hope Leiber remembers the Yanks paid him for one season to do nothing but heal after TJ surgury. I really thought he pitched solidly down the stretch.

The thing to remember with Randy Johnson is that he is the one in control of where he goes. He has his no trade clause and has shown he will use it.

He wants to be in NY or California. St.Louis won't be able to make Randy interested. I think there is a good chance he stays in Arizona, if he does get moved it will be either to the Bombers or the Halos.

I agree with you.  If the Yanks had anything to offer, Johnson would have been a Yank by playoff time.

I heard the Cubs are looking at RJ also.

126816[/snapback]

Hey, here is what we do....Red Sox sign Pavano...let the Yanks have Pedro...We still sign Varitek and we are fine...Honestly being a Red Sox fan for over 30 years....Pedro is past his prime

George Steinbrenner can't wait until the games start to exact his revenge against the Red Sox.

The Record of Hackensack (N.J.) reported yesterday that the Yankees' owner, making a swift and bold decision, has presented a four-year, $50-million offer to Pedro Martinez, according to a major league source.

He and Martinez met in Tampa on Tuesday and no one expected Steinbrenner to move so quickly and dramatically.

In one stunning move, The Boss has changed the winter landscape, forcing the Red Sox to make a large counteroffer and possibly prompting the Diamondbacks to speed up the process of trading Randy Johnson.

Pedro offered 50 million

126738[/snapback]

First, the Red Sox are not going to make a hugh counteroffer for Pedro, his performance in the AL is not worth 50 million. Most they will give him is two years for 25 million.

Second, Pedro would be better off going to the NL, somewhere like San Diego, a warmer climate and teams that do not know him, he would have great success.

Third, this deal will backfire on Steinbrenner just like the A-Rod deal. Not only is Pedro going to have problems repeating his success but Steinbrenner is going to alienate a lot of fans.

Of course when all the Yankee fans starts raving about how great Pedro is the irony will be most delicious.

Hey, here  is what we do....Red Sox sign Pavano...let the Yanks have Pedro...We still sign Varitek and we are fine...Honestly being a Red Sox fan for over 30 years....Pedro is past his prime

126917[/snapback]

Well said, Steinbrenner is making a big mistake, one in which the Red Sox will benefit from.

I wish Pedro well, but he is not ging to have the same end to his career playing for the Yankees that he would playing for the NL, San Diego....

First, the Red Sox are not going to make a hugh counteroffer for Pedro, his performance in the AL is not worth 50 million.  Most they will give him is two years for 25 million.

Second, Pedro would be better off going to the NL, somewhere like San Diego, a warmer climate and teams that do not know him, he would have great success.

Third, this deal will backfire on Steinbrenner just like the A-Rod deal.  Not only is Pedro going to have problems repeating his success but Steinbrenner is going to alienate a lot of fans.

Of course when all the Yankee fans starts raving about how great Pedro is the irony will be most delicious.

126919[/snapback]

Actually Boston have upped their offer to $38 million

Boston up offer to Pedro

Hey, here  is what we do....Red Sox sign Pavano...let the Yanks have Pedro...We still sign Varitek and we are fine...Honestly being a Red Sox fan for over 30 years....Pedro is past his prime

126917[/snapback]

You are exactly right. If Pedro does go to NY, that is what I forsee happening as well.

As a Yankee fan I would much rather have Pavano than Pedro, but I still don't buy it that George is really making a move for Pedro. I posted a thread earlier from ESPN news which said the meeting wtih Pedro was a mutual "ploy" for both Pedro and the Yanks. It was designed to get the Diamondbacks to speed up negotiaions for Randy and for the Sox to up their offer for Pedro (which they did, from 25 million to around 40).

I just have a feeling there is a lot of smoke being blown here on all sides.

Well said, Steinbrenner is making a big mistake, one in which the Red Sox will benefit from.

I wish Pedro well, but he is not ging to have the same end to his career playing for the Yankees that he would playing for the NL, San Diego....

126924[/snapback]

Let me tell you T....I don't want him... too much history.....Print this out, pin it or whatever. I never liked Rocket but I respected him. I will give Pedro the respect he deserves but I will not embrace him as a Yankee.

Steinbrenner makes more good moves than bad IMO. I want the staff to get younger not older. Moose is pushing 36,37......Vasquez is 28 and IMO salvagable. I think Pavano will be with the Red Sox. That leaves the Yankees with little youth options........Milton? Clements? We will see.

What do the sox have in store for the SS position?

Let me tell you T....I don't want him... too much history.....Print this out, pin it or whatever. I never liked Rocket but I respected him. I will give Pedro the respect he deserves but I will not embrace him as a Yankee.

Steinbrenner makes more good moves than bad IMO. I want the staff to get younger not older. Moose is pushing 36,37......Vasquez is 28 and IMO salvagable. I think Pavano will be with the Red Sox. That leaves the Yankees with little youth options........Milton? Clements? We will see.

What do the sox have in store for the SS position?

126929[/snapback]

I don't think Pavano is definitely a Sox yet. Let's wait and see how this plays out. Apparently he LOVED the meeting he had with Torree in Florida last week and they are making a special trip to NYC to meet with the pitching staff and coaches. It's obvious Carl loved Boston too though so I think this deal will come down to dollars and cents.

I also expect the Yanks to make a push for Radke (unless he accepted that 2 year deal minny offered and I missed it). I think the rotation for the Yanks could look like this come spring training:

Unit, Moose, Pavano/Pedro, Radke/Lieber (only one of them will sign), Vasquez.

On the other side I see the Sox going into camp with something like this:

Schill, Pavano/Pedro (possibly both!), Arrojo, Wakefield

I don't think Pavano is definitely a Sox yet. Let's wait and see how this plays out. Apparently he LOVED the meeting he had with Torree in Florida last week and they are making a special trip to NYC to meet with the pitching staff and coaches. It's obvious Carl loved Boston too though so I think this deal will come down to dollars and cents.

I also expect the Yanks to make a push for Radke (unless he accepted that 2 year deal minny offered and I missed it). I think the rotation for the Yanks could look like this come spring training:

Unit, Moose, Pavano/Pedro, Radke/Lieber (only one of them will sign), Vasquez.

On the other side I see the Sox going into camp with something like this:

Schill, Pavano/Pedro (possibly both!), Arrojo, Wakefield

126933[/snapback]

Thats is right about Pavano he has said he is in no hurry and will be meeting with Yankees again in December, also Oakland want to free up some money and hold the line and at first many thought that meant Barry Zito being available, but now it seems Tim Hudson may be as well , the A's taking the best offer for either one.

Its said Yankees would offer Vasquez to Arizona for Johnson , but teams are learly about Vasquez because his arm action last season was at a lower angle, that made some worry he has arm problems or extreme fatigue.

George will get it done one way or another...

According to ESPN.com's Jason Stark:

Officials of other clubs have been chuckling all week over the George Steinbrenner-Pedro Martinez You-Use-Me, I'll-Use-You Show in Tampa.

Since just about every member of the Yankees' baseball operation has told someone in the sport they have no interest in Pedro, "I just look at this as pure entertainment," said one AL executive.

The wires were able to milk Joe Torre's I'd-love-to-manage-Pedro remarks into another Pedro To The Bronx headline this week. But as an official of one club laughed: "Joe's giving a speech in Dallas and he's asked about Pedro. What's he supposed to say -- 'The guy's a bum?' "

According to a baseball man who has spoken with participants at the meeting, it was Martinez who "gave a sales pitch," while Steinbrenner mostly "just listened."

Now that that show is over, it's still tough to locate any team willing to match the Red Sox offer (two years, $22.5 million, plus an option). So eventually, people in Boston expect Martinez to take it.

It's the Boss committment to winning. I wish my football team had it.

126749[/snapback]

Its called no salary cap or revenue sharing.

All teams should have a fair shot at Pedro, this could only be done when all teams have the same monies to work with, and a cap.

What's happening between Boston and the Yankees is VERY VERY VERY bad for the sport. 2 temas with the top payrolls gobbling up top talent that 50+% of the other teams cannot afford.

Pedro will stay in Boston he only used the spankees to gain a 3rd year thats all. And Pavano is I would say 80% chance of being with Red Sox. Spankees or the now called Chokees dont have anything to offer for The Unit.