Who's likely to take a QB ahead of us?

dtgolder

I don't disagree regarding the quality of the player...Suh is definitely the best football player in the draft. As I stated, it's more of an economics issue, of which you appear to be well aware. If a team like Cleveland or Kansas City, both of which employ the 3-4, were picking #1, I'd say it's a no-brainer that Suh goes #1. However, it would be a tricky situation for the teams at the top (Detroit or St. Louis) to pick Suh, simply because they'd need to do so while giving the impression (truthfully or not) that he'd be moving outside to DE. Otherwise, imagine what happens when a guy like Richard Seymour, Shaun Rogers, Ty Warren, Kris Jenkins, Haloti Ngata, John Henderson, Darnell Dockett, Tommie Harris, etc. sees the contract that Suh gets...instant holdout. If I'm one of those guys, I'm looking at the $40M+ guaranteed and telling my agent that he needs to get the GM on the phone immediately and demand a new, $100M contract with $45M guaranteed, and thus the pay structure of a previously moderate-salaried position gets totally blown up (again, I know you understand the causality of it, but the example makes it hit closer to home when you start considering how many established DTs would be justified in holding out).

This same thing happened last April with Detroit. Could you imagine what would've happened to the LB pay scale in the NFL if Detroit would have drafted Aaron Curry #1 overall? How does a team go about convincing a guy like Patrick Willis not to holdout when Aaron Curry is making 3x as much as him without ever playing a snap?

All that said, I would love to have Suh on my team. If (and when) the day comes that the league imposes a rookie salary structure, all of this crappola will be a moot point, and teams can go about simply drafting the best player available at the top (just like it used to be up until the salary cap started dictating things in the late 90's, exactly 4 years after the salary cap was instituted...another cause-and-affect scenario), because he's clearly deserving of being the #1 pick.

Just my 1 cent.

I'm impressed. Excellent, well thought-out information. Truly, a great reason the implement a rookie salary structure.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic