Worst Move of the 2000's (of many)

DFITZ1

Whatever type of relationship Rusty and Rueben had does not counter the fact that most players condition themselves individually. They pay big money to work with advanced trainers at facilities that are specifically designed for pro-athletes. Sorry but the Rusty Jones thing is just a fantasy.

There is also the right and wrong way to condition. Players using the wrong training approach may be more prone to injury. I have heard of some weight training programs (likely clean and jerk style weight lifting) that can overstress the back and lead to injuries. Also diet plays an important role. Just because players condition in the off-season, doesn't mean they are using teh best methods. That's why teams employ full time S&C coaches. Otherwise, they would contract S&C.

Players get into shape during the off season, which they usually spend at their respective homes. Since a lot of our players live outside of Buffalo, I fail to see how Rusty Jones would curtail our injury problems.

Easy - have them train in Buffalo or follow his program (and not someone else's) wherever they live. Given how easy it is to lose your spot in the NFL, any player wanting to extend their career would want to follow Jones, in my opinion.