Say No to Shanahan

300yrds

If you need a Shannahan so bad, why do most teams not hire name coaches? Do you know only 5 NFL head coaches have experience? 5 out of 32!! The Bills don't need Shannahan for credibility. They need to look like they are heading in the right direction. A good GM will do that. If you are hiring Shannahan or Cowher you are betting the farm on something that rarely works.

PTR

If Shanny doesn't want to come here I would be all for hiring a football GM and a coordinator like Russ Grimm. However if we can get Shanny I think that he would be the best fit for the situation.

Unlike other organizations (Dallas, both New Yorks, Washington, New England, and other bigger more glamorous markets) we don't have the luxury of 1- playing in a big market, 2- Having a winning situation, and having a stable situation beyond the near future. So the Cowboys can hire a hot shot coordinator and bring in free agents to help build his system quickly. The Bills need to build with the draft and that takes years and is a crap shoot.

If we go coordinator/GM INSTEAD of Shanny I think that would be a mistake. Shanny brings creditability to this franchise and it goes beyond attention. Shanny is an offensive guy who builds teams that can be successful in Buffalo. I think that he is the opposite of DJ and unlike a coordinator like Russ Grimm we won't be sacrificing 2 or more seasons trying to build a system.

The Jets brought in Rex Ryan and they were able to sign Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard, and trade for Lito Sheppard AND they also had the draft, and as well as an in season trade for Braylon Edwards. If the Bills brought in Russ Grimm they would only be able to help him with 2nd and 3rd tier free agents and the Bills draft picks. Not saying Shanny would attract bigger names right away but he knows what players fit his system and can get his system implemented much quicker.

I don't want Shanahan in a combo position of GM/Head Coach. I wonder if he would be a little like Donahoe in coming here with a chip on his shoulder, feeling as if he was unjustly fired and trying to prove how smart he is. For players it sometimes works having a chip on their shoulder, but for your head coach or GM I think it works against them if they are trying to prove they are smarter than the rest of the world.

What I have heard is that Shanahan wants to install the 3-4. I have nothing against the 3-4, but the Bills personnel is designed for the 4-3 now, and it seems like there are quite a few teams seeking players who fit the 3-4. The Bills would be better off sticking to a 4-3

I agree that the Bills need to get a GM first. Seems to me that Casserly has a kind of mixed record. I would prefer Floyd Reese to Casserly. Jeff Ireland from the Dolphins would sound good with the idea that he would have learned from Parcells, who I think you have to consider one of the best.

I disagree with the idea that Head coach is less important because of the coordinators. The head coach you get is going to determine how good of coordinator you can get. The head coach needs a top notch expeirienced coordinator in the field opposite of his specialty. Jauron needed a top notch offensive coordinator and if he had sought one perhaps it would have kept him from his disastrous offensive decisions and perhaps even helped him with game management. The pay scale you pay your head coach will determine what you pay your coordinators. Your head coach needs to be confident and shrewd enough to choose a top notch offensive coordinator.

It seems to me that you should be able to get a good coordinator because the head coaches that get fired were oftentimes a good coordinator. (Greg Williams and Mike Mullarkey are good coordinators and have been good additions to the orgaizations that picked them up). You just need to offer the money and have the head coach that a good coordinator respects enough to work for.

If you need a Shannahan so bad, why do most teams not hire name coaches? Do you know only 5 NFL head coaches have experience? 5 out of 32!! The Bills don't need Shannahan for credibility. They need to look like they are heading in the right direction. A good GM will do that. If you are hiring Shannahan or Cowher you are betting the farm on something that rarely works.

PTR

+10!