Trent and the O-Line

300yrds

People are complaining about the play of the O-Line yesterday especially, they clearly let soem bad sacks...BUT I think TE is to blame for some of this. The O-Line held up fine the first 2(a good portion of 3) games, giving Trent plenty of time to throw, but he would never pull the trigger. I just think that TE's inadequicies are forcing his own pass rush.

NE played off the line in fear of Lee and TO, so Jackson put up huge numbers, and TE's favorite checkdowns where always there. Clearly week to week each team is taking more and more short field away there is no respect for the passing game what so ever. The line seems to be blocking 6-8 pass rushers each passing down, that is impossible for even the line in the NFL.

So far in his career TE has a good first few games, then teams take away the short stuff and we suck, the run game sucks, and then all of a sudden the time TE used to have in the passing game is gone and it is all the lines fault.

Alot of TE current problems as far as time in the pocket seem to be somewhat to his own doings. Granted the line is injured, and they do have there problems, but TE is magnifying it, and AVP is not helping, he needs more slants to atleast get the lb's off the line of scrimmage so that the 5 up front have a chance to win some battles

He doesnt know where to throw the ball, but I cant imagine why. He isnt that bad of a quarterback. Blame it on coaching, but he is hesitant to make easy throws we have seen him make, and we can only assume that he doesnt know exactly what his receivers are going to do.

People are complaining about the play of the O-Line yesterday especially, they clearly let soem bad sacks...BUT I think TE is to blame for some of this. The O-Line held up fine the first 2(a good portion of 3) games, giving Trent plenty of time to throw, but he would never pull the trigger. I just think that TE's inadequicies are forcing his own pass rush.

NE played off the line in fear of Lee and TO, so Jackson put up huge numbers, and TE's favorite checkdowns where always there. Clearly week to week each team is taking more and more short field away there is no respect for the passing game what so ever. The line seems to be blocking 6-8 pass rushers each passing down, that is impossible for even the line in the NFL.

So far in his career TE has a good first few games, then teams take away the short stuff and we suck, the run game sucks, and then all of a sudden the time TE used to have in the passing game is gone and it is all the lines fault.

Alot of TE current problems as far as time in the pocket seem to be somewhat to his own doings. Granted the line is injured, and they do have there problems, but TE is magnifying it, and AVP is not helping, he needs more slants to atleast get the lb's off the line of scrimmage so that the 5 up front have a chance to win some battles

My big issue here is that Trent needs to recognize different coverages and take advantage of what each coverage gives you. For example, we had two young CB's covering Lee and TO yesterday in man-to-man press coverage. One FS deep and the SS in the box to stop the run and short passes in the flats. What does that mean? They'll be all over short routes like outs, screens, slants, etc. So, to combat that as a QB you need to have WR's run double move routes like the out-and-up or hitch-and-go. If Trent pump fakes that out pattern to Lee, he would have gotten Davis to bite on it and have Lee streaking up the field wide open. What else can you do with press coverage? Line up triple WR's to either side and run pick plays freeing up our guys underneath or over the top. Didn't see any of that yesterday either.

The pattern I'm seeing is Trent not recognizing coverages and adjusting, and the coaches not recognizing ways to get their offense in a successful situation. The "vanilla offense" is pretty apparent. You don't need a thousand plays to beat teams either. You just need a small set of plays that you can run in different ways to beat specific coverages the defense is giving you.