Bills Improved Line Play

jack_spikes

I wonder if Buffalo's improved line play on both sides of the ball(so far) can be in any attributed to the departures of Jim McNally on the OL side and Bill Kollar on the DL side? For as much as McNally was touted, in the years he spent here, it seemed the OL really couldn't open up any holes to provide for a sustained running attack. Nor did it seem Losman or Edwards could reliably have a pocket to stand in with time. Could Sean Kugler be providing all the diiference, especially given the heretofore nice play of all those young guys on the OL?

About Kollar, I've read he's highly respected around the league, that the Bills allowed to go to Houston, and that Marv was about to recommend him to Jauron, only to learn that Jauron had already selected him. With all due respect to having a great reputation, how does that translate into results? Maybe it's not such a bad idea afterall having someone with a more business, and less football, background to look at results and not be so caught up in reputation.

I wonder if Buffalo's improved line play on both sides of the ball(so far) can be in any attributed to the departures of Jim McNally on the OL side and Bill Kollar on the DL side? For as much as McNally was touted, in the years he spent here, it seemed the OL really couldn't open up any holes to provide for a sustained running attack. Nor did it seem Losman or Edwards could reliably have a pocket to stand in with time. Could Sean Kugler be providing all the diiference, especially given the heretofore nice play of all those young guys on the OL?

About Kollar, I've read he's highly respected around the league, that the Bills allowed to go to Houston, and that Marv was about to recommend him to Jauron, only to learn that Jauron had already selected him. With all due respect to having a great reputation, how does that translate into results? Maybe it's not such a bad idea afterall having someone with a more business, and less football, background to look at results and not be so caught up in reputation.

To be fair to McNally this is the first time in ages the Bills have had young, hungry talent at the interior line spots. Our new guards and centres look like the first decent trio for FAR too long.

Just going off the top of my head, but didn't McNally retire 2 years ago, not last year? I'd guess the improvements (assuming they last) would be because our blocking schemes have always called for mobile, athletic linemen, and prior to this year, we mostly had big fat guys.

As for Kollar, every McCargo article I've read has painted Kollar as a major dick. If a coach doesn't click with his players personality-wise, it doesn't matter how good a teacher he is, the message just won't get through. And honestly, this quote from Mark Gaughan's article on Bob Sanders tells me all I need to know:

'"Another thing is just changing your angle," Kelsay said. "You're rushing the quarterback, you're not rushing the offensive tackle. With me last year, I'd be rushing up here and the quarterback would be over there."'

How many times over the past few years have we screamed about Kelsay steaming 8 yards upfield past the QB? Kollar apparently didn't think that was something that needed correcting, but Sanders does. Case closed.