Ring my Bell Demetrius

So I only caught a little of the game and dont tivo so did anyone really analyze his play? Is there a chance that he can step in this year and be a credible LT? Or is it still a ways off?

I'm not going to go through the agony of watching a boring re-run of a preseason game again, just to anaylse Bell's play, but during my (partial) second viewing, I specifcally watched Bell. I'm far from an expert and not sure exactly what criteria the coaches use for grading, but all I can say is he held his own. I didn't see him get man-handled or look lost. He held his ground for the most part. He also hustled to block somebody, even after the play had turned upfield.

I may have missed it, but I didn't see a single instance in the first half where he was outright beaten, or where his play jeopardized our QB.

If anyone is expecting perfection, they're being overly critical. The greatest OT ever to wear an NFL uniform, Jason Peters, resembled a swinging door several times last season. The excuse for him was that he had to work the rust off (12 games into the season?).

This was the first preseason game, and all things considered, Bell looked quite good. It was easier to judge his skill on passing downs, on which he did well. Running plays, it's a little more difficult for this layman to know exactly what everyone's assignments on the line are, and where any breakdown may have occured.

Can he step up this year and be an adequate or better left tackle? Not sure if they'd move him back to the left side, so I'll address as a tackle in general. Hard to say after one preseason game, but assuming the progress continues, I'd say he has a good chance of starting soon, as I predicted initally in this thread. Stay tuned. Hopefully, we'll get a number of looks Saturday night and have more to draw on in making an assessment. #77 in your program.