3-4 defense in Buffalo?

Wow, you are incredibly optimistic.

I just have this overwhelming feeling this year that the Bills defense is on the cusp of being outstanding. There is a lot of talent---Stroud, Schoebel, Poz, McKelvin, McGee, Whitner, Williams, Mitchell, Kelsay with rookies Maybin and Byrd. I know most will scuff at Kelsay and possibly Williams but Kelsay can be productive as a situational player and Williams is a hard nose high motor player that has the luxury of playing along Stroud.

Now if the offensive line can come together the Bills might get off the snide since 1999 and make the playoffs....

No way. Thought they might switch to 3-4 in spots to keep the offense guessing, don't expect it much. The Bills DEs don't command the necessary double team and the OLBs haven't shown an ability to get the the QB. Stroud might be talented enough to be the NT but he's a bit late in his career to be making changes like that.

It's pretty obvious the Bills won't be running a base 3-4 defense for the above stated reasons. But pulling it out once in a while could be advantageous as a way of mixing in blitz packages. Maybin appears to have the skill set to play OLB, and I've stated since we drafted him that the Bills are looking at him to move to OLB. This kind of reinforces that. Don't expect a switch to the 3-4 base this season, but I wouldn't be surprised if by next year it happens.