Will the K-Gun Offense Work This Time Around?

They are talking about doing no huddle not K-gun. Main difference being that the quarterback will not be calling the plays. No huddle can work if have a monster defense, since the offense isnt on the field very long. Or is needed if have a really bad defense, since always playing catchup all the time. Since they have neither, other than a nice change of pace, I hope they wont play it more than a few series a game. If they do, have a felling our defense will be giving up allot of points in 4th quarters of games.

You hit the strategy nail on the head I think. If they try to run no-huddle as the base offense, they're screwed. It has to be used sparingly until the game gets going - something like two to four series in the first half. Then they need to be careful using it in the second half - especially late - because you don't want to lose the TOP. If you can get a lead in the first, no reason to use it in the second half - outside of maybe once.

The other thing that would work would be to use it sparingly during a series. Maybe come out, run the ball, throw a pass, hurry to the line and run, then let the clock go, etc. The unpredictability of when you use it is just as important strategically as usingg it all the time. Look at what the Colts do.

One other point of note is given that the QB's are all wired, the coordinator still can call the plays even in a no-huddle situation (as done in Indy).

The other point of that, is the defense is wired now as well. So if you go no huddle but slow it down, the defense gets a chance to think about thier approach and adjust allot better now than were able to in the past.

Beg to differ. The k-gun no huddle was built around the running game, not passing. the defense was forced to play up to the line to try stopping Thurman. our mistake in SB1 was to not run Thomas enough, as the giants played off to counteract the long pass. unfortunately we played into it.

You are correct, the running game was a huge part of it. They had basically 4 runs they ran over and out of k-gun. However they only ran when there where 7 in the box and ran outside the takle or draws over half the time. The line was able to play smash mouth when needed however and was unique in that regaurd for that type of offense. But there where multiple interviews after games they didnt use the k-gun as much because of having the lead or other reasons, where the linemen where extactic about being able to run block and take it to the oppenent for a change. In most cases the blocking is more of a zone blocking scheme when doing no huddle, even in run game, and linemen cant be as agressive, since doing more draws and screens than typical. The k-gun was based out of 3 recieve set most of time, and the threat of pass, and the tremdous ability of the line to pickup blitzes and give kelly time made it difficult for defenses to stack the line to stop the run, so the run was very affective for them. Not to mention having a hall of fame caliber back. But the run didnt setup the pass, it complimented it.

I agree on point of why we lost to giants however. That and very poor clock management at end of game didnt help either.

I have not been around long enough to know if the Bills have the same kind of talent they had years ago when Jim Kelly ran the K-Gun, no huddle offense. My question is will it work this time around? What makes the Bills offensive coordinator believe it will?

We have a 3rd year quarterback who still has not proven himself to many of the fans.

We have a whole new starting offensive line with unproven depth.

We have a 4th round, 7th round and now another 4th rounder TE and none is known for their great blocking or streaching the field abilities.

We have some damn good WRs this season......

Forturately we have three pretty good runners.... but what has that to do with the K-gun... I dunno...

I wish someone could tell me if they think it will work like it did years ago... and god did it work for the Bills years ago.

They tore up the league. Scored points like a machine gun spitting bullets......Had defenses laying on the ground.

Could it happen again with the crew the Bills will now have on offense this coming season ? again... I dunno

the theory is simple, go NO HUDDLE to create match ups in our favor, i.e. one of of talented WR matched up on LB or maybe LEE or TO in single coverage. The idea is Trent will recognize this quickly and get rid of the ball. So if your O-line is bad, the idea is to get rid of the ball before the rush or blitz gets there-

So it is supposed to counter the pass rush or a bad O-line and take advantages that our WR core should create-

Bottom line-ITS ALL ON TRENT to make the right reads and decisions. GO BILLS

The other point of that, is the defense is wired now as well. So if you go no huddle but slow it down, the defense gets a chance to think about thier approach and adjust allot better now than were able to in the past.

By rule helmet headsets are turned off with 15 sec. left on the play clock. If you have watched Manning in Indy lately this is when he begins his frantic gesturing and audibles. Sometimes the defense responds and he will audible again in many cases running the clock down to 1.

Indy runs a limited no huddle, Manning is alert enough with it, to call for the snap catching the defense for too many players, even if he hasn't finished calling the play he wants. As was noted in another post about Kelly letting the Skins sub in the Superbowl. It should never have happened, if your over center and the other team has 12 on the field snap the ball. That is an automatic 5 yards.

I love the idea of trying something "new", and I think we have the personel to do the no huddle. RB is very important, because they are often used as recievers out of the backfield, taking advantage of linebackers covering them - and we've got three good ones at catching and running after the catch. Also, Edwards does seem to shine when he's in the hurry up. I've mentioned it before, but with a two back, three wide reciever formation, we could make some noise. One thing I don't like is all the press coverage, because we've got some good defensive coordinators in our division, and some good defenses. They'll have strategies planned. It's another wait and see, to find out if we can impose our will on a defense regardless of what they are trying to do.