The Stupidest Faders Pick Was Not Heyward-Bay

Linkage

"Should I be near a phone the next time the Raiders pick? Maybe they'll pick me.''

-- Tweet from sahyder1 to me on Twitter at 9:09 p.m. ET Saturday, following the Raiders' reach for wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey at 7 and the strangest pick of Day 1, safety Michael Mitchell, at No. 47 overall. How strange? Mitchell was the 73rd-rated safety on ESPN draftnik Mel Kiper's board. Not the 73rd-rated player.

Genius Al strikes again! :rolleyes:

What an absolute joke the Raiders draft looks like right now. Obviously it's going to take some time to shake out, but I can't remember one team making so many picks that left you scratching your head. Not that this is all that surprising. Al Davis is a stubborn old man who can't get away from his love of 40 yd dash times, and obviously losing football games. Even though it is that strategy that burns him consistently in the draft. Once again, I'm very thankful that I am not an Oakland Raiders fan.

I have to say I feel bad for raiders fans. As much as we moan about our circumstances, they got it pretty rough.

Not only have their fan bases been jerked around with not ONE but TWO moves (and constant whining about stadiums, lawsuits, ect) Al is truly nuts. And the sad thing is that they are on of the most successful, visible and winningest franchises in pro sports!

And how sad does it have to be in that draft room? Some 26 year old interns are probably Al's scouts...they say they want to draft Crabtree while Al swoops in real close and demands they get H-B. Wearing a yellowed smile and winking like crazy. Probably has a cane with him too to smack somebody if they disagree.

I can't imagine everyone in that draft room or the FO to go along with all these shenanigans. Its crazy...

On thing I'll add is that I remember a lot of people laughed when the Raiders drafted Nnamdi Asomugha late in the first round of 2003 a while back. I don't think he was rated as a top 10-15 CB in that draft and I remember Kiper and the rest were laughing because they didnt even have tape on him to roll when he got drafted.

It got even funnier when they drafted Tyler Brayton with the next pick...

Of course one of those picks turned into a damn good player...probably the best CB that year, or the last 5 years for that matter.

I was laughing at the pick at first because I'd never heard of him before, so I googled him to find out who the heck he was. I know highlight films have to be taken with a grain of salt, but he does look pretty badass. I mean if he would've been there in a later round its still a bad pick no matter how good he turns out to be, but sometimes that stuff can be very hard to tell.

I was laughing at the pick at first because I'd never heard of him before, so I googled him to find out who the heck he was. I know highlight films have to be taken with a grain of salt, but he does look pretty badass.

he does look pretty sweet.....

Say what you guys want about the Raiders making a bad pick, but the Bears had called Mitchell to tell them they were taking him with their 2nd round pick. Then, the Raiders selected him 2 picks before the Bears. The Bears then traded out of their 2nd round pick.

Link

I was laughing at the pick at first because I'd never heard of him before, so I googled him to find out who the heck he was. I know highlight films have to be taken with a grain of salt, but he does look pretty badass. I mean if he would've been there in a later round its still a bad pick no matter how good he turns out to be, but sometimes that stuff can be very hard to tell.

Seems to have good instincts and hits like a train. I like him.

Just because we or Kiper never heard of him doesnt mean he is not any good. I had never heard of Whitner and we took him 8th overall. This kids made a lot more plays in college than whitner did. Remember this Ohio team nearly beat Ohio St untill they messed up a punt or had a FG blocked or something late in the game, so there should be some video of this kid vrs the best. Numbers wise at 6'1'' 220 and a 4.4 40 he looks real legit. From watching that video he looks great, but you have to wonder why he wasnt invited to the combine. May not be as bad a pickas everyone thought.

Just because we or Kiper never heard of him doesnt mean he is not any good. I had never heard of Whitner and we took him 8th overall. This kids made a lot more plays in college than whitner did. Remember this Ohio team nearly beat Ohio St untill they messed up a punt or had a FG blocked or something late in the game, so there should be some video of this kid vrs the best. Numbers wise at 6'1'' 220 and a 4.4 40 he looks real legit. From watching that video he looks great, but you have to wonder why he wasnt invited to the combine. May not be as bad a pickas everyone thought.

The thing is....the MAC has 3 all conference teams....THREE...and he didn't make one?

Yeah yeah, we know the pro bowl in the NFL is a popularity contest, but is it the same in a second tier college fb conference? By my guess, they chose 6 safeties in their own conference as better performers than him.

It would be pretty cool if he came out and turned into a top notch safety, but you also have to take into consideration who made the picks.

I don't trust Al Davis, just like I don't put much stock in the "gurus" over at One Bills Drive.

If Bellichick or Polian made this pick, I think people would try and understand this pick a little more. Instead, they laugh. These two have proven track records. Davis DID, but not anymore.