10 Things I Think About the Draft and Season

1. Ahhhhh....INTERIOR LINEMAN. High draft picks on versatile, mean, interior lineman. It's like a cool breeze on a 90 degree day. Maybe these guys flop, but for the first time since Ruben Brown (and maybe Dockery), we can actually be legitimately excited about guards we acquired instead of having to choke down the Bennie Anderson and Tutan Reyes sh-- sandwiches we have been served and act like they taste good.

2. DJ loves his DBs. We all know this. You can make peace with it or you can suffer through it every time. I think every coach has a certain position that they feel they can "never have enough of." Some coaches love WRs, some love DEs, some love RBs and some love DBs. I don't necessarily agree with Dick's philosophy here, but I'm also not going to get worked up over a few corners in rounds 6 & 7.

3. I wasn't high on Maybin, but what do I know? I hardly saw him play. We needed a pass rusher and we got a pass rusher. I don't know if he is going work out, but if it means I don't have to see Kelsay take a 30 yard circle around the QB, grab him six different times and yet somehow end up on his face in the dirt, then I'll be happy.

4. Unless Youboty regresses (or gets injured again) and/or Reggie Corner looks bad, I don't see McGee returning after his contract is up unless it's for a significant "hometown discount."

5. It will be an interesting summer for our WLB candidates. I love what I've seen of Nic Harris so far, but I'm really just hoping that one of these guys significantly distances himself from the pack.

6. No skill positions besides Nelson? I love it. And I'm also looking forward to the competition between him and Fine. I think Fine is our starter, but I'd love to see a good battle.

7. I think our OL looks like Walker-Levitre-Hangarter-Wood-Butler -or- Walker-Wood-Hangarter-Butler-Chambers.

8. It's always a sad moment when our last pick is finally made. It's like opening up your last present on Christmas morning. You want to enjoy the gifts you've already opened, but part of you is already thinking about next year.

9. I say Kawika Mitchell splits Mark Sanchez' chin open Week 6 at approximately 5:18pm EST.

10. I don't pretend to know the best draft strategy, but I can confidently say that I believe it's not what you pick, but who you pick. I said this in another thread, but I notice a lot of people point to the Giants and their lines as a benchmark for a success and a model to emulate. The Giants haven't drafted an Offensive Lineman OR Defensive Lineman in the First 2 rounds since 2004 (Chris Snee RD2), unless you count Kiwanuka who really is an OLB. In terms of their vaunted DL, they drafted Osi in Rd 2 of 2003 and Tuck in Rd 3 of 2005 and got two probowlers. We drafted McCargo and Kelsay in the same time-frame and got one loser and one borderline starter. You can draft a certain position until you are blue in the face, but if you do it right, you only gotta do it once. <_<

Anyway...good night all. Great weekend to be a football fan and only 365 more days until "Christmas" comes again... :thumbsup: