This is my 50th draft

It has been a long, exciting, sometimes depressing but mostly fun roller coaster from when there was very little coverage to now. There was no live TV, no network covering the NFL 24/7. You got your news in the Buffalo News, Courier Express , magazines or the TV news.

No longer having to watch the Browns (whom I loved) in black and white TV to our very own team.

It went from having to draft 33 and 18 rounds to now 7. Then you have to find your choice, sign him and then hide him so the other league couldn't find him and sign him. From the days when Buffalo was a powerhouse and we had the talent and the coach (Saban, Knox or Levy) to what others in the league think is an irrelevant, small market team with a questionable quality head coach.

We went from a team that was rich by league standards and actually lent money to others to keep the league afloat. From a TV contract of $125k to the Billions now. From the converted stock car stadium to the Ralph to now the Billion dollar stainless and concrete edifices.

From the owners who were committed to a community and winning, to owners who would give up their mother to win at all costs. From integrety to ........ well, maybe that stayed the same.

We've come a long way. I no longer need Shout, all the magazines or news clippings sent from family. We get excited for the draft each year because we hope and pray that this is the year we hit gold and make our move to the top.

Anyway, from a born and raised Buffalo guy who fate took to California, I feel it every year for you Buffalo. We have some quality picks this year. Use them wisely. Then DJ must think outside the box and needs to motivate like the coaches above. Here's hoping. Always hoping.